The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get much chance last season to really master my flintlock, so here is my question. I cleaned it well, and stored it with the bore lubed. What do I need to do prior to loading the first bullet of the season? Just run a few dry patches till clean?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
What kind of lube are you talking about? Id just shoot it, as you push through your patch, the bore butter lubes up your barrel anyways

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i use bore butter on my flinter. the only thing i do is shoot a couple shots right before season to make sure it still hits ok and the run a couple of patches with that t/c cleaner that looks like skim milk and then a couple with bore butter. i do that after every hunt and then when i'm done for the season i do the hot water treatment.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Ditto, but I clean with remington black powder bore cleaner, then bore butter it and hang it upside down downstairs by woodstove to melt excess lube n season it a bit.
pumpgun said:
i use bore butter on my flinter. the only thing i do is shoot a couple shots right before season to make sure it still hits ok and the run a couple of patches with that t/c cleaner that looks like skim milk and then a couple with bore butter. i do that after every hunt and then when i'm done for the season i do the hot water treatment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do not use Bore Butter after having a less than acceptable experience with it. I use oil to store my barrels. I also use an alcohol soaked patch and several dry patches to clean out the oil before loading and swab after each shot even in the field when time permits. Whatever you use to store your gun if not cleaned out will contaminate the powder possibly to the point of affecting the powder performance.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Hittingguru said:
I didn't get much chance last season to really master my flintlock, so here is my question. I cleaned it well, and stored it with the bore lubed. What do I need to do prior to loading the first bullet of the season? Just run a few dry patches till clean?
just run a few dry patches thru it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Practice. But before the first shot I would swab out the bore to get the oils out so as not to contaminate your powder charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts