The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first shed of the year this morning while running cameras. The boys are definitely back in town. Crazy how just over the past two days all of the bucks are filtering back onto the properties that I haven't gotten pictures of them on in a month. It's like overnight the return home bell rang. This is a hot little field edge covering the corner of a picked bean field. I picked up 13 different bucks on this camera last night. 4 bucks are back running together and 2 of them are solid bucks. This one posed for the camera and then dropped its right side 15-yards away.
Deer Flash photography Black-and-white Fawn Horn
Hand Wood Branch Gesture Finger

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I'm off 5 days over Thanksgiving and plan on hunting Ohio hard and should be plenty of bucks still rutting and searching. Definitely gets a little harder with the bow, especially after the youth gun season this past weekend in Ohio. Seems early for shedding and most seem to drop in March around here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I noticed a quick transition also. Buck are back to putting the feed bag on and have no interest in doe or running off other buck. That’s crazy finding a shed in November, but like breeding and coming into heat some deer are early some are late. Good find!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
For us the rut just started to kick in the last week on archery. Up to that point all the buck were still by themselves. This week and beginning of rifle they will still be chasing a good bit. That deer is either very stressed, injured, or just overall very unhealthy to have dropped an antler this early. Hopefully he's okay. Never want to see them dropping this early.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is probably the earliest find for me. I've found them in November after Thanksgiving but never before. I'm sure there's another flurry coming around the 2nd week of rifle season but right now they seem content hanging and feeding together. Incidentally, I never got another picture of the busted leg fawn. She must've succumbed to the injury or a coyote got her.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You guys seeing bucks again saying it’s done. Sure about that? My guess is coming out of lockdown?
Possibly could be rifle hunters prepping their areas /spooking areas and it has bucks moving back to their core areas? Also add on the bear drives. No doubt in my mind that bear season has helped some old bucks get old- it’s their warming bell to get to their hideouts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts