The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by saying that I never trapped until this season but due to my 8 year old son we are now hooked! My son begged for traps and trapping supplies for Christmas so that is exactly what he got. I called upon my uncle who at one time was an avid trapper as well as reading the trapping forum on HPA daily to give me some knowledge. We decided to target coons in and along creeks. We started trapping after Christmas and pulled the traps for awhile when everything froze up. Once things thawed out a little we reset for the last 2 weeks of the season. We ended up catching 8 coons for the season. The look on my sons face each time we had a coon in the trap was priceless! What an awesome Father/Son activity and one we will continue for years to come. He is constantly on trapping web sites and reading trapping books. It has become an obsession for him. He has been practicing setting his traps since the season has gone out. A few weeks ago we ordered 3 dog proof traps and caught a coon the first two days they were set. He was so proud because he chose the spots, set and baited them all by himself. We hope to make some fox sets next season and continue to enjoy trapping together. Thanks for all the pointers/advice you all post as it has been a big help! I will post some pics if I can figure out how to do so.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Good job Dad! Hard to find a better activity for father and son. Good job son! Treasure each moment with your father. Good luck with the foxes!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
That story reminded me how I started 30+ years ago.my oldest brother decided to take me along on his muskrat line when I was 10.After pulling up that first rat,I was hooked.Now i've taught my son to trap and he runs a small coon line,and love the look on his face when he brings one home.Unfortunately, I didn't have any time this past season to trap after the hurricane hit and was swampped with work.I still had the pleasure of putting his stuff up though,and teaching him how to do that now.Next year he can do my put up,lol.Not missing next season!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts