The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm new here so first let me introduce myself. My name is Aaron, I'm 22 and go to school in Lancaster. I was born and raised in DELCO on the Delaware river.

I've been interested in hunting for years but have only gotten into it this year. Ive been reading this forum for over a year but always as a guest but I figured it was time to join in!

So after some online research and some scouting, I Bought a shotgun, some decoys, a cheap call, and dove in. I'm hooked!

I have found a few walk in spots on the Delaware that I've seen some ducks at and had plenty of opportunities to bag some but missed haha.

Unfortunately none of my buddies are really into hunting and I've been going out by myself. It would be awesome to meet up with some guys from the area to hunt with. Especially someone with some experience who could maybe take me under their wing and show me the ropes.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and I hope to meet up with some of you guys one day.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Welcome aboard, son!

This thing called waterfowl hunting is addicive AND expensive .... you sure you wanna do this?

It's hard breaking into the waterfowl arena around here. So many guys have reached out to new guys only to find they stabbed them in the back and returned to their spots to hunt with other guys and/or by themselves. Too bad for the honest guy trying to do it the right way and hoenstly, but as with anything in life .... it only takes one guy to ruin it for everyone.

I'd recommend joining your local Ducks Unlimited Chapter. Attend their meetings and get to know some guys face to face. Help out on project days and before you know it you'll have gained trust and find some help.

My son and I started 5 years ago. First year was REALLY TOUCH on our own. We had no clue what to do. Yes we read and watched tons of videos, but hands on experience is the teacher in life. Fortunately we found a guy willing to take us under his wing of 15 years experience and the venture started. We still have lots to learn, but have moved forward a lot since 5 years ago.

All the best, keep at it, and good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's too late, It's already all I can think about! And yes I've realized it's an expensive pastime/obsession. What can you do...

I've been reading the forum long enough to realize that there's a right and wrong way to go about things and I respect that 100%. I'm also wary myself of taking people to any of the few spots I've managed to find.

I'll make it clear that I'm strictly here for the knowledge offered and not to undermine anyone by stealing their honey hole. I know it takes a lot of scouting, gas, and time to secure a place that is successful and honor that effort.

As for joining DU, what's the procedure for doing so? And do they hold regular monthly? I'd be more than willing to get involved with conservation projects, I enjoy that aspect of the sport almost as much as hunting.

Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in lancaster and would be willing to try and get you out some time when a member of our crew cant make it. Not really sure when that might be but shoot me a PM with you number and all give ya a ring. We have really been getting into the spring snow goose hunting and that might be a good time to get out as in a big spread we can hide a few extra guys.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
DU is just about the banquets, not much volunteer work to be done. They mostly operate as a government contractor and having you on site is an insurance issue. You will meet guys at the banquet, but not long enough to get an invite. The best thing you can hope for is a blabbermouth who gets drunk and talks to much.

Find spots on your own. Copy what you see the ducks doing. You'l be fine.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
From an organization standpoint, I think you'd be better off looking at Delta Waterfowl than DU if you want to hook up with other hunters. I've been on our local DU committee for the past 4 years and we have no meetings other than the banquet committee and the spring gathering committee. I haven't hunted with one person through my DU connections. Other chapters may be run differently, but that's just how ours is. We do raise a TON of money for the organization though.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I hunt alone because nobody on HPA likes me. I heard good things about those Delta Waterfowl guys. I think I'll try to hooked up with them.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
vincentpa said:
I hunt alone because nobody on HPA likes me. I heard good things about those Delta Waterfowl guys. I think I'll try to hooked up with them.
Like a fungus.......you're growing on me!!!

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
jguns2002 said:
From an organization standpoint, I think you'd be better off looking at Delta Waterfowl than DU if you want to hook up with other hunters. I've been on our local DU committee for the past 4 years and we have no meetings other than the banquet committee and the spring gathering committee. I haven't hunted with one person through my DU connections. Other chapters may be run differently, but that's just how ours is. We do raise a TON of money for the organization though.
That's pretty much my DU experience too. Don't get me wrong, they are a great organization that does alot for duck hunting, but it's mostly just fundraising. I've been a committee member for our local chapter for a bunch of years, but have never hunted with any of them, (although we say we're going to every year). I'm also a longtime Delta mamber, but there aren't any local chapters near me. Maybe they are different.

Either way, they are both worthwhile investments in our duck hunting future. Everyone should at least become members, even you aren't an active one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts