The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the check and application all ready, except for the WMU choices, so I could make a final check tomorrow, fill in my choice of WMUs, then stick it in the mail.
Went on the site to see how the remaining tag numbers look, when I noticed the First Unsold round date of 3 Aug. Hmm, I swore I saw 27 July. Almost screwed that up. The horror and panic that would've set in. :eek:
At least everything is ready to go for next week.

·
Registered
502 Posts
For some reason - i thought the same as you ... good catch ... i never would have checked the site till you said something

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Been there. Fortunately I've never gone further and accidentally mailed one off too early (I have accidentally mailed one a week later than I should though.)
This is why it's become my routine to sit at the computer immediately after ordering my license, pull up the application schedule and current CT address list, print out some doe apps, and fill everything out right away.
I write the round number and date of the Friday to mail it under the checklist as I stuff 'em. I put reminders in my phone calendar for the Fridays before each round.
Sounds like overkill, but with 2 young kids, endless homeowner project/honey-do items, work (and all the associated chaos 2020 has delivered so far), it's paid off.

·
Super Moderator
26,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been there. Fortunately I've never gone further and accidentally mailed one off too early (I have accidentally mailed one a week later than I should though.)
This is why it's become my routine to sit at the computer immediately after ordering my license, pull up the application schedule and current CT address list, print out some doe apps, and fill everything out right away.
I write the round number and date of the Friday to mail it under the checklist as I stuff 'em. I put reminders in my phone calendar for the Fridays before each round.
Sounds like overkill, but with 2 young kids, endless homeowner project/honey-do items, work (and all the associated chaos 2020 has delivered so far), it's paid off.
I usually just leave everything laying on one of the kitchen counters. That way the wife reminds me everyday that I need to do something with that stuff.........

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I usually just leave everything laying on one of the kitchen counters. That way the wife reminds me everyday that I need to do something with that stuff.........
:ROFLMAO:
Yeah that doesn't work in this house. If I leave stuff on her counters, they're bagged and hanging on my office doorknob or sitting on my garage workbench within an hour lol.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Got the check and application all ready, except for the WMU choices, so I could make a final check tomorrow, fill in my choice of WMUs, then stick it in the mail.
Went on the site to see how the remaining tag numbers look, when I noticed the First Unsold round date of 3 Aug. Hmm, I swore I saw 27 July. Almost screwed that up. The horror and panic that would've set in. :eek:
At least everything is ready to go for next week.
I did the same thing, I swore it was the 27th too and actually thought I was late getting it in on the 30th. Thank goodness I was double checking the # of tags left right before I dropped it in the mail and just noticed the date of the 3rd. So instead I mailed it this morning (8/1.)

I typically hunt 3D and sometimes 4C for deer but I actually did something a little different this year. Since I'm trying to explore some more areas particularly for grouse I decided to get a doe tag for 3B for my first one. There couple areas on a gamelan up there I want to explore more and I figured if I dont get to it during the early grouse season I'll have a reason to get up there during rifle deer season. For thr first round of jnsoldi put in for my standard 3D tag. I enjoy hunting and exploring new areas, keeps it interesting and fun for me.

·
Super Moderator
26,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I typically hunt 3D and sometimes 4C for deer but I actually did something a little different this year.
Same here, but for different reasons. Since we moved to Gettysburg from Germany last year I still hunted 3D in rifle season but hunted archery and flintlock in the Michaux State Forest. Will do mostly the same this year, but got a first round 3D and sent for a second round first choice of 4C. Just over 5K left there but hopefully I get lucky and get one, my son just got a place between White Haven and Weatherly, and my mom and brother's places are in northern Kidder Twp. The 3D and 4C areas don't really need exploring since I've lived and hunted there most of my life.
I have two DMAPs for two different areas in Michaux, and if any 5A tags are left for next round I'll get one for there too. That should give me lots of new areas to explore. And hopefully with slightly better luck than last year!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Ryan if ya want some decent spots on public in 3B PM me.

·
Super Moderator
26,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Causes a few arguments but, it works. :)

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
i sent my first round tag to erie county,for 1B mailed it in Friday, got awarded on Wednesday. i sent my second round tag to a different county treasurer for 1B this past Friday and was awarded this morning. some treasurers are just doing their job and others are not.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don’t think Elk is a secret anymore. Now that it doesn’t seem to matter with all the extra tags added I’ll share my first round unsold choice.

Cameron County Treasurer.

My logic is that it is located smack dab in the middle of the two WMUs that always sell out first. Since most guys send to their local treasurer, folks living in that region aren’t gonna send away for more tags that are sold out, which likely reduces the volume of applications coming in. It Is also the least populous county.

Could be all irrelevant, but it’s been working for me for the past 5 years. Always get my 1st round unsold on Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Ryan if ya want some decent spots on public in 3B PM me.
Thank you 25ftup, I will do that soon. I have some ideas of an area or two I want to explore so I'll run those by ya too. Maybe you're familiar?

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 15 of 15 Posts