The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got my first Red Fox today. Here are some photos and the story...

This is the set. I am utilizing plain Straw with a Hay Set (as detailed on this site!!!). The #2 Bridger w/4 coil (I was targeting coyote) was laid to the right of the center in the photo. The straw is in a horshoe shape. The grass in the back is native grass I used as a backing. The set was made right off of an ATV path in a strip mine area. I am utilizing Berkshire cable stakes 15" long (I believe). I never saw fox sign in this area but had seen a lot of coyote sign. I utilized Craven's Canine Force and placed a stick I dipped in the bottle at the bottom of the high area by the backing. I then sprayed Red Fox urine only in the tall straw in the "horseshoe bend". The day before I succeeded I checked the set and could see something was working it. I tightened the trap closer to the Straw pile.

This is the result. It is day 3 of the set being placed. It rained BUCKETS on day 1 and I did not re-lure the set. I had my doubts on the hay set (just because I had never used it) but do not anymore. With the amount of rain we received, there is no way I could have managed a dirthole (usually what I go with). I am going to run the rest of the season using hay sets.

The bad.... There was an enormous amount of damage to the left foot. I am sure this is due to the #2 Bridger w/ 4 coils. A hunter dispatched the animal before I could get there. I do not necessarily have a problem with that (because it was obviously suffering from the foot damage) but they shot it in the chest and it blew out the other side. Must have been a 22 Mag hollow point at close range. Went in as a pinhole and out like a dollar bill!!! I stiched it but wish they could have just plugged it in the ear hole from 30 yds. away.

I want to thank everyone on this site and the archives for all of the pointers. Tight chains.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Good for you on your first catch.

My suggestion to you would be, if you are going to run hay sets don't worry about the 4 coiled traps. It's not like you're trying to bring that trap up through heavy soil.. Way too over kill for me... I very much doubt the fox was suffering, they are as well as all furbearers, very tough and resilient.
By the looks of the fox, it was a pup from this year unless you are a very large man. So the trap would have caught it higher.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smith101 said:
Good for you on your first catch.

My suggestion to you would be, if you are going to run hay sets don't worry about the 4 coiled traps. It's not like you're trying to bring that trap up through heavy soil.. Way too over kill for me... I very much doubt the fox was suffering, they are as well as all furbearers, very tough and resilient.
By the looks of the fox, it was a pup from this year unless you are a very large man. So the trap would have caught it higher.
smith101 -- Thanks. I am 6'2" 240# -- I thought it looked small also but I had never caught one before. You confirmed it for me. Will drop back to 2 coils. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Failed to mention in the original post but it is an Offset Trap. It was not caught in the offset though. It was in the side of the jaws.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Congrats!! on the red. What pan tension do you set your traps at?? I like to run 2 pounds to 2.5 on all my k9 traps. Also maybe you want to night latch you traps so there is no pan creep.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
are your traps laminated???

i run the same trap...4 coiled, offset, laminated, base plated with a center D-ring...

you say it wasnt caught in the offset??? ive never seen that..sounds like it was bound up between the lever and jaws???

i am wondering if the yahoo that blasted it didnt try stealing it and couldnt figure out how to work the trap and for whatever reason just gave up and left?

i can kinda see the damage in the pic...odd..

i caught 3 reds in the setup i mentioned above and have NO damage at all...

·
Premium Member
24,145 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bowtech Mike said:
Congrats!! on the red. What pan tension do you set your traps at?? I like to run 2 pounds to 2.5 on all my k9 traps. Also maybe you want to night latch you traps so there is no pan creep.
I was set at about 4 lbs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mauser06 said:
are your traps laminated???

i run the same trap...4 coiled, offset, laminated, base plated with a center D-ring...

you say it wasnt caught in the offset??? ive never seen that..sounds like it was bound up between the lever and jaws???

i am wondering if the yahoo that blasted it didnt try stealing it and couldnt figure out how to work the trap and for whatever reason just gave up and left?

i can kinda see the damage in the pic...odd..

i caught 3 reds in the setup i mentioned above and have NO damage at all...
mauser06 - I run a Bridger #2, 4 Coil, Offset, non-laminated trap with a baseplate and center D Ring. It looks like the fox might have been on his belly kinda pouncing on the pan. That is the only way I can think of his leg getting caught in that fashion (So close to the point of rotation for the jaws).

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
id highly recommend getting those jaws laminated or removing the auxiliary springs...the laminations give a much wider jaw surface and add weight to the jaws which is part of the reason to 4 coil..the other is crusty frozen ground/snow/mud..more power to bust through...running 4 coiled without laminations can be rougher..

something odd happened to get his leg pulled like it was..like you said, maybe pouncing or digging..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts