The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone remember what year Pa. had there first flintlock season. I remember being in high school in the 70's and we had one hawkins 50 cal. and four us went to the mountains. We drew numbers to see who got to use the gun after the kid who owned the gun shot his deer. He couldn't hit the side of a barn with that thing and i never did lay my hands on it. I bought my first flintlock that following year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
At that time there were only certain GL you were permitted to hunt on. I hunted GL 39 in Venango County at home and GL 74 at camp in Clarion County. I am not sure how long it remained on those GL's but it became very popular quickly. Gary U

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yep; I graduated high school in 1973 and started flinting the next year. I had a TC Hawken 1/48 twist.50 and it was years before I got my first deer. That rifle would outshoot my 30-30 at 100 yards. I traded it off for a PA Hunter carbine that had a 1/66 twist barrel because it was a bit heavy to lug up and down the mountians. It was right up there with one of the worst trades I ever made.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do remember using maxi balls the first few years before I lost interest, I think it was always iron sight ( no peep or scope). I can remember some guys had some type of metel attached to the frizzen that made crazy spark, it always scared me so I stayed away from that, then I think it was found out to be illegal to use. Gary U

·
Registered
746 Posts
They made a device that had a wheel on it like a cigarette lighter that took those zippo type flints. It clamped in your hammer instead of a flint and you put a little rubber thing on your frizzen. When the hammer went forward it hit the wheel on the rubber spinning it throwing the sparks down in the pan. Ill try and find a picture on the Internet. It is not legal.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Some people just don't get it.Somebody is always trying to make it easy, or cut corners.
The season didn't come about to be easy. It's suppose to be fun, miss fires, flash in the pan, and just the art of learning to shoot and hit what your aiming at is the challenge, and fun part.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
Some people just don't get it.Somebody is always trying to make it easy, or cut corners.
The season didn't come about to be easy. It's suppose to be fun, miss fires, flash in the pan, and just the art of learning to shoot and hit what your aiming at is the challenge, and fun part.
you said it brother.

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
those flint things were for sale before they were illegal. Some guy had a booth at the sportsmen show selling them. Easy to make. They are legal for elk, small game, coyotes, groundhogs, but not deer and bear in PA. (The digest incorrectly does say "ANY muzzle loader for the regular firearms deer season.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts