The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out tonight aroung 10pm with my brother. We went to the gamelands in shwenksville. First stand complete fail we set up theres a tree and brush in the middle of a big field thats brush and corn we set up in the tree I walk out put my spitfire down walk back we wait 4 minutes then all of the sudden I hear some one else calling I look to my left see a red kill light in the woods. Last stand we set up in another field I was playing lucky bird for a minute or two I stop it then I hear a coyote howl so I play the coyote locator and stop it hear another howl from a diffrent direction. We didnt see any eyes I dont know if I called to much or if me switching the calls up did it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Switching up distress calls isn't such a bad thing.Using the
wrong coyote vocalization can be a problem..

Coyote locator probably wasn't the best choice for this
situation.This time of year coyotes are getting territorial
again due to mating.

A coyote challenge type call may have been better.
Make them think theres a new guy in the area..If they respond to
your challenge howl switch back to distress if they howl
again...Howl back...Once they stop howling get ready
because they might be on there way..Be prepared to stay
on stand at least 45 min at that point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metal Dog said:
Switching up distress calls isn't such a bad thing.Using the
wrong coyote vocalization can be a problem..

Coyote locator probably wasn't the best choice for this
situation.This time of year coyotes are getting territorial
again due to mating.

A coyote challenge type call may have been better.
Make them think theres a new guy in the area..If they respond to
your challenge howl switch back to distress if they howl
again...Howl back...Once they stop howling get ready
because they might be on there way..Be prepared to stay
on stand at least 45 min at that point.
Ok thanks for the tip and will use the challenge bark the next time. I was wondering is this a challenge bark Ml Coy Chl Scrm by foxpro I mean it says scream.

·
Registered
927 Posts
No a challenge bark is two short barks like a domestice dog, it should say male coy challenge bark, or female challenge bark, I usually go with the female howls/barks. Just from using my foxpro I can somewhat determine tye sex of the coyote from the bark, not as much from a howl if at all. I dont use that locator much, you can get a whole crowd going with just one howl.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks yea I have a few howls and male and female challenge barks so I'll try them the next time I hear a howl.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You dont need to wait for a howl, try the "fem coyote long/deep howls" everytime I play those I expect a response do it full vol, if they are in the area then they will howl back, then use your challenge barks. but if they dont show up dont blame yourself they dont come often to a howl, others may have diff opinions but iv just never had one actually show itself over a howl, but always start with your distress calls they usually come with 2 mins of the first call, not saying they dont show up later but times iv had luck it was almost right away from a rabbit or bird distress.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Be careful with the male challenge barks and howls. If it was a juvenile yote or female would you come running to an adult male challenge?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts