The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out 5 times so far this spring, but this is the first time I have put a write-up together this year.

Although the air temperature never topped 54 degrees here today, the last few days set me up nicely for a good morning of fishing. The last two days have been over 70 degrees, and it only went down to 52 last night, which did not tank the stream temperatures. I knew I would have a few hours of good fishing before the trout realized the diurnal temperature swing wasn't happening as usual.

Heavy rain kept me off the water until about 9am. The sun peaked out for a while between rain events. I started on a section of water that reminds me of fishing in a post-apocalyptic world.

There is roughly 1/2mile section of stream that was channelized for mining activity about 80 years ago. This section doesn't get fished much because access means descending an 8ft wall for its entire length.

I caught many small 9in brook trout here that all looked strikingly similar and unimpressive, so I am only including one picture of them.

This was the largest fish I caught in the concrete jungle, a 12.5in brown.

I had zero follows on spinners, so being that I basically rappelled down a cliff to get here, I tried trout magnets and was catching them at a regular pace.

I worked up a tributary to this first stream to catch a few natives.
I started with the white bead gold spinner design that I admittedly pirated.

But then, I switched back to trout magnets. This is only the 2nd time I have ever fished this stream, but similar to when I fished it last year, the fish got bigger the further I fished up.

After making my way back down to the main stream, clouds had rolled back in and it was starting to rain. I drove to a different section of stream and went back to the pirated spinner design.

This run beneath a fallen tree was loaded with recently stocked browns. I caught 15 here.

This little trout looks like it took a beating from the hatchery raceway.

This was the heaviest trout of the day, although still only 12in.

Driving across town to get home, I stopped at a festival that was underway to get something to eat. I thought this man dressed as a morel was interesting.

My day ended with 76 trout, as verified by my new "fish counter" which I have with me as I am finishing up here.

I am not sure how long this device will last. It had some condensation on this inside of the display window simply from being in a moist environment, so I brought it inside to dry it out.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That spinner you're using looks like a real trout magnet.

Nice photos. Great outing.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

The main problem I see with a trout counter like you're using is that it doesn't log the size or species of the trout that are caught like my little tablet. I also find it convenient to know at what time I caught my last trout and I can tell that because I record it. Sometimes knowing this helps me make the decision to go to another stream if things are slow because I can tell exactly how long it has been since the last time I caught a trout.

·
20,126 Posts
Nice TDM! I was wondering what you've been up to over there. Your water levels look WAAAAY better then what we have over on this side of the state. Nice start though!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I jot things down that I can easily remember when I get back to my car, like water temp, air temp, cloud cover, starting and ending time, and biggest fish. I don't think I would ever carry a tablet with me. I wet wade almost exclusively so I am not careful about keeping anything dry. It allows me to move at a much quicker pace through the water and over land.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Streams have been running right at the highest levels that still provide great fishing for about 2 weeks now. However, the wading is more difficult at these levels.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Superb outing with a little bit of everything; stocked trout, wild trout, rappelling.

The pictures are really nice and a good write up!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both from the waterfall were right at 10 inches. I have markings on my rod to measure quickly. All trout from this tributary are natives. Unfortunately, there are no trout above that waterfall even though the habitat is great for another mile or so. This stream was devoid of life not too long ago and has since repopulated from the mouth up to this point but they haven't made it up the falls.

I fished this stream last on june 15, 2015 and caught a brook trout that looked similar to the first big one from the waterfall. They both are light in color with 2x2 dot patterns.It could just be similar genetics. On June 15,2015, it was 7.5", now it is near 10". I have it photographed on opposite sites so it it hard to tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts