The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these and many more this evening.
They are small, I left the rest there to get tomorrow. Will they get bigger in a day or 2 ???????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice! They look like half free morels to me from the picture , edible but not as choice. I don't know if they would get any bigger or not. happy hunting!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check them better they are not false. there must be 30 some of them there but there are some that look like perfect. these were ones I kinda stepped near or rolled a stick while stepping. will take the camera along.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
They are all morels; but the half free variety. These should not be eaten when alcohol is drank within a 24 hour period, as they have a chemical in them similar to anibuse, and you could

If you stay away from alcohol, they are very good.

I've picked them upwards of ten inches in height. Give it a couple of days and go back and get them.:)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Definitly not morels. Please send me at GPS coordinate and detailed directions anyway.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Never happened to me Rip.
Do know someone it did happen to though!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I picked dozen Black Morels today. They where med. in size. I came across a couple hundred real little ones, I'll grab them next weekend. I find most of mine around dead Elm trees.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Never found blacks around Elm's, but found 3 gallons of very big blacks in a Poplar grove yesterday. Saturday found 45 Grey's and 4 Yeller's around Elms. Yellows should start in force here in SW PA by this coming weekend. Just a hair early for them right now. It's a later season this year than it has been due to the temps being cooler than recent years.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
What area of the state are yunz finding these? Don't they emerge earlier in the south than in the north?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Under poplar trees.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Had an unbelievable experience under 2 very large, almost dead Elm last evening. Bag I had was too small and brimming with Yellows. They popped a bit earlier than I was predicting this year, but I guess that's why it's hunting... ya gotta get out and take a peek. Over 10 lbs worth of what I would call medium to med. large yellas.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
They grow under Apple trees as well. Find an old Apple orchard where the trees aren't being trimmed or picked in the Fall. The older, bigger and unkempt looking the better. I know quite a few old farms on SGLs that have them.

Like others have said, Big stands of Poplar, Ash and Elm tree's with peeling bark.

Get to know your Tree Bark and shape ID. Morels are out around here before the new leaves get big enough to ID the tree. Of course you can also look on the ground for last years leaves that fell to help ID.

We have an early season in the Valley, then a later season higher up on the mountain where it takes longer for the soil temp to rise. North and South sides of the mountains have different harvest dates as well.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts