The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Some things should never be joked about!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
The 2 places that are most secretive in the outdoors are your favorite morel and ginseng pathes!

·
Registered
738 Posts
i know they will not be up but i think by the end of the week i'll be checking some of my spots all this warm weather i just can't help myself

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The warmer weather happens every year at various stretches in March, and brings out the "just maybe" in many folks. Bottom line, in more years than I care to remember hunting them, they pretty much start the same time year in, year out. Ya just can't rush it. Stick a shovel in your garden, and grab a handful of soil from about 8 inches down....... hand numbing huh

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I don't care what anyone says.. this is the mildest winter/march I've ever experienced in my almost 27 years... we've had consecutive weeks of mid 60's - 70 highs and next week mid 70's for highs.. FOR MARCH!? come one. EVERYTHING is happening 3-4 weeks early... Heck, the cherry blossoms in D.C. are already fully blooming... IN MID MARCH!

I'll put a bet to the naysayers that more and more morels will show up in the next 2 weeks. that will put it right on with the "everything is happening 4 weeks early this year"

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Fleroo said:
The warmer weather happens every year at various stretches in March, and brings out the "just maybe" in many folks. Bottom line, in more years than I care to remember hunting them, they pretty much start the same time year in, year out. Ya just can't rush it. Stick a shovel in your garden, and grab a handful of soil from about 8 inches down....... hand numbing huh
Nothing but warm mud here at shovel depth. I know I'll be picking ramps and fiddle heads soon. I'd be soooo happy to find a morel up here!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
That being said, we can still get 2' of snow in April. We're not finished yet, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are correct. "things" are way ahead of schedule. It's almost a guarantee that Morels will be somewhat earlier, but I also think we're gonna be pretty much up a creek because of it. This weather is lingering longer than most anybody thought. Gonna be alot of fruit trees go to blossom and get hit with a hard frost, mark my word. I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is the Morel's are going to make an early try, get caught, and produce a bust of a season. As nice as it's been, I really wish it would not have been this warm. I like Morel hunting THAT much.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts