The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bug from this forum and bought a junky MD at Harbor Freight and dug up the yard a bit (good plug holes though!) lol. My house is old farm house, 1830's or so. Found some stuff.. maybe old civil war lead bullet? pocket watch remains, some unknowns, 23 nails and other iron pieces (window weights)...and best of all was the last find, my 1st dogs dog tag buried about 2 inches. Teared up and gave up at that point. If you can ID anything Id appreciate it.
Willy

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
around 50 out the door. THink its cheaper online. I was not impressed, though dont know much total newbie though I did learn 1 thing. If you want to find metal it works... I tuned it according to instructions to avoid iron and it didnt work so well since I dug nails consistently.... after the 200th hole I learned you want to discern between a nail and something worthy of excavation.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
I read the other stuff you posted then... Sounds like I'm better off getting a good used one or something in the $200 range new.

Looks like you found some nice stuff though, but all that digging got old I'm sure. lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Fleroo said:
I believe the very top left is an itty-bitty Dough-Boy helmet, lost by an itty-bitty Dough-Boy.

It looks like an axle push cap (keeps the wheels on) from an old express wagon or tricycle. The new ones are plastic but the old ones were metal.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Way to go Willy, I went Sunday, no MD. I wanted to start at a place I found last year, definatlly where they used to dump their glass years ago. Found some neat stuff, wasn't there too long. I did find a few old half pint milk bottles, on the bottom they read "highland dairy". Also found a old wine or whiskey bottle, un broken, read around the rim, "federal law prohibits the reuse or resale of this bottle". After a little research, they used to mark all alchohol bottles with that, after prohibition. I think the practice stopped in the mid-50's.

I will post pictures of my finds sometime soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts