The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a hunt I had yesterday. Walking to my spot on top of ridge I jumped. Up about ten doe no shopt too far. Get setup on ridge in a blowndown tree at about 4pm I see some deer couple hundred yards away. They gradually work way up the ridge to a field behind me. I let first 5 or so walk by all within 15 yards. I continue to watch deer in distance and see two with antlers. I still have does walking up to field,none busted me,finally the first buck is in range,a small 8 point.The other buck is a bigger 8 so I wait for him.He finally gives me about a 40 yard shot,I settle the sigght on his chest pull the trigger and click,no fire. I open the frizzen check primer it is good,close frizzen pull hammer,pull. Put sight on him agin and pull trigger!oom! Smoke clears and the buck is staring at me,clean miss. I reload but he just trotted off. Went to look for blood nothing! It was an awesome hunt! I will be back at them .

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
for some reason when hunting with the old smokepole, it is more fun to miss. lol. you get to keep missing for more days hunting and having fun.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great day for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the flint side...It's so true that missing with the flint is all part of the allure...mine never misfires at the end of the day to unload...only sometimes when there is a deer on the receiving end...the flint gods are in control.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I think Im hooked! That was one my best hunts ever.I will be putting in more time at the range.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Careful that smoke gets addictive. Makes me drive 3 hours to hunt with a great bunch of guys. Sounds like you had a great hunt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts