The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
They do freeze will. When you take them out of the freezer to use, drop them frozen into the pan to cook. Don't thaw them out. If you do thaw them, you have to use them immediately. Even leaving them a few hours makes them taste like crap. I put them in vacuum seal bags. I put them in the freezer for a few hours to freeze the moisture then vacuum seal them. I also dehydrate them and store them in glass jars. The keep well that way too.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Dredge in flour, coat in egg, then roll in Panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Saute in plenty of butter until golden brown.

It is one of the most wonderful things you will ever eat.

They also make for a perfect chicken marsala. I mean world class cuisine.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I found a simple, 5 ingredient cream of mushroom soup recipe I've made twice. Hens lend themselves very well to this soup. The second time I made it, I took about a third of the mushroom/garlic/onion combo after it was cooked down, puree'd it and added it back. That really made the flavor pop.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice finds. I found about 15 to 20 pounds worth yesterday but after getting them home I found hundreds maybe thousands of little white worm-like jumping bugs on them. Not sure what to do with them as they were really fresh, no other bugs in them yet. I have been trying to find some info on the bugs but haven't found much. I have them soaking in water but fear I might have to throw them out. I have been picking the same two trees for years and never seen these bugs before, although the tree uprooted this summer so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I found a simple, 5 ingredient cream of mushroom soup recipe I've made twice. Hens lend themselves very well to this soup. The second time I made it, I took about a third of the mushroom/garlic/onion combo after it was cooked down, puree'd it and added it back. That really made the flavor pop.

Bucket, was that the Bon Appetite recipe?? If so, I found it yesterday and made the soup with honey mushrooms (popenke's). It sure is good!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for some of the tips and recipes. This might be my favorite wild mushroom so far. Dinner tonight, deer steak and sautéed hen of the woods in butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and chives.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Bucket, was that the Bon Appetite recipe?? If so, I found it yesterday and made the soup with honey mushrooms (popenke's). It sure is good!!!

It was from Taste of Home.

Limbhanger, wild mushrooms and wild game belong together. That sure does look great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts