The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
do you mean the late 80's early 90's cummins? the 12 valve really hard rattling cummins? if so I still see a few around. I have owned second gen 5.9 liter and just bought a new 2013 6.7 liter. as far as heavy duty diesel trucks are concerned I believe there is no better diesel motor than the cummins. I know a lot of cowboys out in the western states that pull big horse trailers and they would not own a heavy duty truck unless it was a dodge with a cummins. their torture tests is what influenced me when I went diesel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I see some around yet. Definitely cool looking trucks when they're done right. A guy has a straight cab dually with a single stack and it looks awesome! I agree the 5.9 Cummins is the best out there (and I'm a Ford guy), but I know a few guys that have the 6.7's and they have a lot of issues with them. Now if only Dodge could build a truck that could stand up to the Cummins, and an automatic trans that could hold up as well!

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
The Cummings is a good engine.Unfortuantely the Dodge trucks should come with a spare tranny instead of a spare tire.There's no better combination than a Duramx/Allison.I have almost 200k miles on mine and haven't put a penny into it.It gets used hard all year long.I plow with it and haul a 10klb gooseneck horse trailer most weekends all over the tri state area area.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
agree the allison is a good tranny. have not heard anything bad about it. dont know much about the dodge automatic trannys but the g-56 6 speed mercedes tranny in the newer rams are bulletproof. in my oponion any diesel 3/4 ton truck should have the option of a standard tranny. dodge is the last to offer the standard.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree dce, the Cummins should come with a spare trans rather than a tire lol. The Duramax/Allison combo is pretty good. Where the Allison has their downfall is if you start to put some power to it by way of a tuner. They don't like it and slip fairly easily. H&S performance has done testing to see what an engine/trans combo can handle in stock form. The Duramax did fairly well, but they put a pretty well souped up trans in it before the testing. I honestly think a truck that could be here to stay is the 6.7 Power Stroke. In the H&S test, the 6.7 in completely stock form (trans and all) made 818hp and almost 1700 ft/lb. of torque. The trans just started slipping at that time. That's a pretty dang good factory transmission if you ask me!

Either way, any truck has it's downfall, and it's all personal preference. If you can resist the temptation and not put too crazy of a tune on your truck, it will treat you well! Glad to see your Dmax is working well for you! My buddy has an '06 and his trans isn't doing so well right now!

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I have a tuner in mine but it's not set to aggressive.I programmed a "tow" tune in that's supposed to give me 40+ more hp and 2-3 mpg.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice! The non-aggressive ones are ok, but my buddy has a PPE tuner with a real hot tune on it, and his trans doesn't like that too much lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts