The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the last time I was up to the plot it had been 10 days since I planted it and this is what it looked like.

Now it has been 20 days and it looks like this.

The rain has made a few puddles in it but it should drain quickly and hopefully all the plants in the puddles will survive. The same few doe and spikes are all that are using it at this time. I got some big ones around but they just aren't hitting the plot yet.

This is a deep woods plot. I did no PH test, put no lime down, nothing. Just had a buddy disc it up and sprayed it with plot max. Put some fertilizer down and spread the Antler King. I imagine I got lucky with all the rain anything would grow but I'm happy with this so far.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Re: First Food Plot - 20 day growth update

looks good for all the rain. it should do great if the ground will ever dry out. im glad my plot is on high ground.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oddly enough this is as high as you can get in my area. The very top of a ridge, infact its the highest point on the ridge from what I can tell. We've just had so much rain that the low spots filled in.

·
Registered
802 Posts

you may want invest a few bucks in a bag of fertilzer.

looks like you got lots of seed down and it probably will stunt.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The close up pic is a small section where I accidently opened the seeder up to far and it poured out. The rest of the plot is not that thick.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Went up to get my camera today and move it to another spot. Snapped a 24 day growth pic with it. Water all drained and it actually grew a lot in 4 days. The ferns and weeds are coming up now though as well.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts

its looking good.the weather is suposed to be excellent for the next two or three days so it should shoot up in a few days. i have been going to mine about every other week and picking ferns out of the lower part of it were i did not work the ground as well. i planted mine a little to thick and the wheat and rye is choking out the turnips. at least there have been deer in it.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I took the camera out last night. Not going back up for at least 2 weeks. The next trip will be to pick out as many ferns and weeds as possible and maybe spray it with another dose of Plot Max.

·
Registered
802 Posts

I m sure it will grow very well as we all know there "ain t no deer left"
in Potter cty to eat it...Looks good..

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sarcastic but not that far off. No mast whatsover on that hill this year and I've got 5 deer using the plot and 2 are this years fawns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts