The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a Flintlock this year but don't want to spend too much. Any suggestions on where I should look or models you would recommend. I usually hunt with bow and Shotgun.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
There is a Lyman Great Plains rifle for sale in the classifides. It is a decent gun to start with and don't set your self up buy using the cut agate flints. they are horrible

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Get either Thompson Center Hawken or Renegade.Any of the Lymans are equally as good.Any caliber will do the job if you do yours.If you want headaches,go cheap.

Start now with getting it tuned in.Don't wait till 2 weeks before season.There is lots of varriables to try to get good accuracy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked at the Lyman. That seems like a great deal. Here's a question for you.....percussion v flint. I'm assuming that a hot discussion topic? Are percussion rifles not considered true flintlocks? Are they legal for PA flintlock season?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Percussion are not "flint"locks, they do not use a flint and are not legal in the late season.

I have/had a .45 TC Hawken, (2) .50 TC Renegades, and a .50 Lyman Great Plains Hunter (not GP Rifle). I think any of these are good hunting guns. The Lyman had a rough trigger but I smoothed it out where it is very nice now and it is very accurate to 150yd with the optional peep sight. I now use it exclusively and have taken deer, elk, and moose.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Englishsteve,in the rest of the state the early(oct)season is percussion,flint,or inline.The late season,statewide,is flintlock ONLY.
Flintlocks and percussions are often called "sidelocks".
I see your from the special regs area.See page 11 halfway down.Late season till Jan 28.
A percussion can be used in late season but ANTLERLESS ONLY and with antlerless tag.
If you want to shoot a buck you gotta use a flintlock and with an unused back tag.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Nearly all production flintlocks require a bit of tweaking as well as education to cajole them into proper operation.

I'd go for a Lyman, but TC has improved their flintlocks in the past ten years. An older CVA flintlock Mountain rifle was IMO the best production flinter ever made. But unfortunately hasn't been made in almost 20 years.

you also must decide if you are going to shoot traditional (patched round ball) or want to shoot elongated bullets. There is a difference in rifling and twist. A round ball can do fair in a bullet barrel but not the other way round. If you have the choice, go for a 54 cal.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
EnglishSteve said:
Thanks guys for all the advice....I'm definitely going to go with the flintlock (not the percussion)
Good call.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Everybody that I know says to get Lyman because the frizzen is made with superior hardened steel which give better sparks which translates into better ignition and less misfires.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
ROMAC said:
Everybody that I know says to get Lyman because the frizzen is made with superior hardened steel which give better sparks which translates into better ignition and less misfires.
X2

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The Lyman would be 1st pick, TC not far behind. Alot of guys will put a Lyman frizzen on their TC, its an easy swap. Todays CVA and others are functional, but not good. They also keep very low resale values. If you decide you don't like flintlocks, you can get your money back out of a Lyman or TC. Whichever you choose, practice is vital if you want to hunt this year. It takes most guys years to get good with a flinter, you owe it to the deer to become a decent shot with it. Good luck, and post what you bought, there will be all the free advice you need!

·
Registered
248 Posts
lyman deer stalker is a fine rife for the price. then when you get one shoot and shoot some more to get comfortable .then there is some little tricks to learn like pic your flash hole and i don't like to fill my flash pan full so i can keep it to the right and not in the flash hole and when you are hunting change your flash powder often

·
Registered
400 Posts
I shot a fox 2 years ago at 35 yards with my Lyman GPH on a snowy December day. I got cocky and totally screwed up on an 8 pointer later in the day. Too much powder in the pan resulted in a delayed firing which caused me to lift my head from the stock just as the gun went off.

It was humbling to say the least. 5 years with it and I am still learning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok....it's down to the Lyman Deerstalker or the Great Plains. I'll mostly be still hunting with the occasional tree stand session.
I'd like to buy something that I'm not going to want to upgrade in a years time. Which would you choose?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
then go with the great plains its alittle more money but well worth it if i was you a can find somebody with them two guns try shootin each one and see which one you like because comfortablity is a big part of this sport

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I just bought my 6th Flintlock which was my first Lyman....It is a Deerstalker in .54 caliber. I am planning on shooting it tomorrow BUT I really like the feel and the shorter length.
JMHO
Dave

1 - 20 of 53 Posts