The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am newbie when it comes to looking for artifacts but I have always been fascinated by the first inhabitants of PA and how they hunted, gathered and lived. I decided to walk a local creek bed the other night and focus on the gravel bars. I thought I had found my first arrowhead, but as you can see by the picture they either stopped working on it, or it was a practice field tip as one of my coworkers stated. LOL!
Chances are, its just a nicely shaped rock. The other piece however tells a slightly different story. At first I thought it was a fishing net weight, but I discussed it with a professor of anthropology at the college I work at and he called it a "pre contact stone bead", which would make it more ornamental than a functioning tool. Either way, I thought it was pretty neat and I can't wait to go out there and look for some more.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I'd say that the "arrowhead" is nothing more than a rock shaped like a point, as it hasn't been knapped or worked by hand.....The first item , however, is a true artifact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello foxhound1 ! I can't say 100% but your second one may be a Tooth.

Looks allot like Sharks tooth but could be other Prehistoric creature.

If you haven't asked around. do so

here is a couple sharks teeth

the Curve on the Left side of yours Reminds me of the Curve of the Teeth, & being yours was found in a creek could explain it's extra worn condition

http://www.anythinganywhere.com/commerce/naturalobj/sharkteeth.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts