The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my son got his detector we have been out several times and its time for me to have my own. Money is an issue so I would like to keep the cost to about $200. I have looked at a few web sites and Ace 250 or Fisher F2 seem like decent entry models for the price. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Paul

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've heard good things about both of those models . I've never looked , but people say Craigs List is a good place to check . I'm thinking of trying the Teknetics Delta 4000 for my daughter and as a backup detector . A dealer up my way says $350.00 with carry bag & pinpointer . Seems like a decent machine .

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
for the budget and entry level, both are GREAT machines to start out with and go from there.

craigslist, ebay, treasurenet, treasureclassifieds

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. But now you got me thinks 4C. Buying a used one is an option.

Which used detectors would be a good buy at the $200 range?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts

nothing wrong with a used detector. I started out with a White's Classic and still have it. That machine cost me $125, was 10yrs old and still works like a dream. Only when I got deeper into the sport did I drop $1500 on an E-Trac in order to hit more mineralized soil and more user tunable discrimination.
If you find one/some, shoot me some links and I'll look at them for you!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great, thanks!. I should have time over the weekend to look

A friend of mind recently told me I can hunt his family property in pike county, 69 acres. It was a working farm back in the early 1800's. I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm pretty new to MDing myself but if you want company let me know.
I have a cabin in Pike county and there are a couple places up there I'd like to check out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'll put a vote in for an ace 250. Wife bought me one for my birthday this year and then I bought the Garrett digger tool with it. I wish I had more time to play with it. I have found some old nails and junk like that. Had it down on the beach at Ocean City earlier this year and found some loose change and a wedding band. Whatever you get , have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Now i'm probably gonna get some responses to this statement but,if it were me i'd look for something without the screen and learn the different tones a machine gives off.Lots of folks get into the hobby,buy a machine with all the bells and whistles and solely rely on that screen,they see a nickle,dime,penny,quarter sign on their screen and dig the target only to retrieve a junk item,they get frustrated after several attempts and give up the hobby.Now say you go out and buy a machine without a screen,you learn the tones but still dig alot of trash but now you are relying on what you hear instead of what a screen is telling you,which by the way are not 100% accurate by no means,only a guess by a program installed by the manufacturer.Any machine is not 100%accurate and i bet alot of guys who have a screen don't always rely on what it says.I have a Fisher F2 with a screen and absolutely do not like it but instead love any and all Tesoro's,why?Because i do not trust what a screen tells me but instead trust what i hear the machine telling me and using my own judgement as whether to dig or not.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My son uses a ACE 250 and loves it. Easy to use, lightweight.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses

Tracker, when I get up and running, I'll give you a shout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts