The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out this afternoon with my son for a mentored youth hunt. We went on Thursday but ran into some issues with a stand squatter. Karma in our favor tonight. As we were walking in, we came upon two doe bedded down 40 yards away. We passed on them and continued to our stand. Wind was really howling this afternoon so we sat down where we wanted to on Thursday. At about 5:45 I see two deer coming our way. It took them about 15 minutes to get closer but I still wasn't confident they were close enough. My son tells me I can do it, give me the gun. He shoulders my Moss 500 and gets a good rest on the shooting sticks. At about 50 yards he squeezes the trigger and sends the Lightfield Light thru the ribcage. I see the deer run about 60 yards and tumble over. He's in shock and I'm ecstatic! At that moment he tells me he has mixed emotions. We had a good talk! After gutting, tagging and getting her home, he turns into Chatty Cathy and the excitement is really flowing! Calls grandpa who's up in 2g and hasn't seen a deer in two days and relays the news! Really proud of my boy and the way he handle himself! It took me many misses before my first deer and he was able to do it the first time he pulled the trigger! Great memories for sure!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sounds like both of you had a great day afield. Congrats to the young hunter and you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations! I'm glad it turned out well after the way Thursday went!!! Karma, indeed! Good things happen to good people.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts