The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the first day of buck and it is 9am. 50 yards away a coyote is slinking through the woods!
You have scouted and trail cam pics of a good buck in the area !
WOULD YOU SHOOT THE COYOTE?
Myself,no! I would not want to chance spooking a buck away that i feel is in the area.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
He is toast. I have all season to hunt the buck. If a guy/gal does pass up an opportunity at a coyote, it may return to the area just when the buck was passing through and blow the chance at him. Hey it could happen.

Not only that but, that coyote will eat many of the bucks in that area before they grow up. Less coyotes is a good thing IMO.

If the coyote is not taken, it is very possible it may even eat the "good buck" if it decides to and has a buddy that enjoys venison as well. Post rut bucks are very susceptible to coyote predation. Shoot straight and often at the yotes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'd leave it, too much hunting pressure to let the big buck know where you are

end of the day when i'm ready to pack it in anyway or during a drive then it's a different story

·
Registered
481 Posts
Shoot the yote and stay put, Don't think that a sudden boom of a gunshot is going to run a deer out of the area

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
dave3 said:
Shoot the yote and stay put, Don't think that a sudden boom of a gunshot is going to run a deer out of the area
^^This

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all about the shot scaring a deer away from me. But with that said I still wouldn't shoot the coyote.

I've had a number of opportunities to shoot coyote over the years while I was hunting and never do. They are just another part of nature I enjoy watching. I have no desire to eat one, have one mounted or to skin the pelt out for any reason, so I just enjoy the experience when I get to watch one while we are both out hunting, me for fun and he/she for a living.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I would shoot the coyote just because I want to get one mounted. I have a bobcat, a red fox and a grey fox all full body mounted and would like to get a nice coyote to full mount as well. Once I have the mount, I'd probably let it go on the first day of rifle season.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It would have to be a slam dunk shot. Im not taking a running shot a shot thats too far out of my comfort range. That being said it would have to be the right circumstances.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would shoot no question. My dad shot one at 11 am got down
and put it under the stand. then shot a buck at 2 pm out of the same stand. A dead coyote is a good one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I actually had this happen a few years ago. I had a couple really nice bucks in the area on my trailcams, and then comes the first day of buck. Its about 8 am and I can hear deer coming and notice 3 doe trotting towards me. Right after they pass by, I hear something else coming from the same direction. I get ready thinking its a buck chasing behind the does, and what pops out but a coyote. Here it was the coyote that was chasing the deer. About 30-40 yds away he stops to listen where the does just ran and POW!!! Dead Coyote.
So here's what happened after I shot the coyote. I saw a few different deer a little while later and noticed they were getting a whiff of the coyote and actually trotted away. So I got down out of my stand and moved the coyote quite a distance away. Later on in the early afternoon, I ended up shooting a nice 8.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did exactly that on opening day last year. I first saw the coyote 100 yards away. It then turned and came right at me. I shot it broadside at 30 yards.

Will

·
Registered
515 Posts
willyp said:
It is the first day of buck and it is 9am. 50 yards away a coyote is slinking through the woods!
You have scouted and trail cam pics of a good buck in the area !
WOULD YOU SHOOT THE COYOTE?
Myself,no! I would not want to chance spooking a buck away that i feel is in the area.
You don't shoot it and that good buck might get chased out of the area. I agree with others, shoot him and stay put.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts