The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a old tram road thats blocked off up on a mountain near me and decided it was as good as place as any. its about 100 yards off the dirt road and if i happen to go by in the morning before light i can shine a light down and see if anything is there without getting out of the truck

i double staked my boiled trap and covered with hay using a quarter size portion of the Kishels Triple-Dig-It

Here is a picture of my finished set what do you guys think? this is a first for me and i actually saw a grey fox as i was driving to this place not far from the area

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Can't really give you a good critique without seeing the set close up........hole/trap placement, guide objects, etc. The set looks fairly "loud". Lots of eye appeal. Maybe too much for 'yotes. A gray should probably still work it. Looks like a good location.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's kind of.set on a little.hump. the log is behind it with a small hole between the hay and the log. Thanks for messaging.this is my first time trapping

·
Registered
339 Posts
So..... the log is your backing for your dirt hole, and the hay is just to cover the trap? Why didn't you just sift dirt over the trap and blend it in?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said this is my first time trapping. I tried to follow the hay set post in the sticky. Thought I needed a backing for a hay set even in the woods

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yeah.

I believe I may have blended the set with items more natural to the tram road and kept the hay for a set in a hay field.

But, then again, it may provide an eye appeal that copule work for you. Generally, on a travel corridor as defined as a tram road through the woods, the eye appeal can be more subdued. The critters are going to be passing fairly close by your set anyways and you can rely more on nose appeal.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok should I.change it tomorrow or let it.go for a little

·
Registered
339 Posts
spangler2k3 said:
I tried to follow the hay set post in the sticky. Thought I needed a backing for a hay set even in the woods
With a hay set, the hay IS technically your backing. From the info you gave us, it sounds like you put/found a branch on the ground, put in a hole (using the branch as your backing), put down your trap in front of the hole, and then covered your trap with hay. That's not a hay set. Either that or you made an actual hay set and then put a dirt hole right next to it, making a kind of Frankenstein hay set & dirt hole combo.... maybe that could work...

Can you explain more? I'm confused

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how to answer that one.. the branch was there already.. looking at it from the picture the branch is on the left.. between the hay and the branch is a hole with lure between the hole and center of the hay. My trap is center of hay about 12" from the hole I dug.. I knew I didn't.wrong. had a bad feeling about it

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not saying its wrong... its just different from everyone else.

There are videos on youtube that you can watch. Just search "dirt hole set" or "hay set". Lots of videos

·
Registered
44 Posts
This my third year trapping and if there's one thing i've learned is there is no right or wrong. Everyone has different ideas and some things work for some and not for others. Definately a visual set. Like was said already, looks like a grey area. Keep trying different types of sets and see what works best FOR YOU. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i checked the trap location this morning and it was set off with nothing in it. I had the pad tension a little loose but did see a coyote track in the dirt right near my trap.. so im a little bummed..

but then it happened.. went to my other location where i had 2 sets near a swamp and got this guy.. he was less than pleased.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is my first catch in trapping.. from the sounds of it id better get used to it lol

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it looks like it has mange really bad.. lots of hair missing down to the skin with bumps. ive shot them before for someone that had one around their cabin but never looked like that

thanks for the high 5.. i really appreciate the help and time you guys put into replies on here.. something id like to continue weather successful or not

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would get rid of all that hay/straw in your first pic or move the trap outside of the hay and use it as the attractant. They may come over to check it out but I doubt they will step onto it the way you have it made. Catch them when they are checking it out. Make a soft spot for them to put their paw on the pan as in no leaves, just a dirt spot over the pan and maybe some broken up or crumbled leaves around the pan. Put just a dab of lure IN the hay near your trap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts