The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yipee. Today I had my first chinese chestnuts begin to drop. Seems about a week early for my trees. Probably the dry weather we've had. Seems to be decent sized though. Now if I can just keep the coons and squirrels from beating the deer to them I'd be happy. That's a loosing battle though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ours started dropping last week. I forgot to check them over the weekend while we were working in the yard, but my wife did. She said they were a little small but good nuts. The deer are hitting ours already.
I agree too that they’re a bit early this year and have noticed that happening on dry years in the past.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
My Uncle lived next door to my camp. He had a dozen big Chinese chestnut trees, that he grew from nuts. Every morning, he’d get up at sunup to gather chestnuts….had to get them before the gray squirrels found them. He’d bag them up in onion bags and hang them on his porch.They would hang there for a couple months, nobody was eating them, so he took them out in the yard where the squirrels would find them. Did this every fall. I thought, why not eliminate the middleman ( and stay in bed in the morning ), and just let the squirrels take them in the first place.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, not a real good place to run around barefoot. I'd love to have a chestnut tree or two in the yard, but too many grandkids running around so I keep the chestnuts in the back lot for the animals.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a big hybrid chestnut in the back corner of my yard. It's been dropping nuts for a week or so. We've had fox squirrels, gray squirrels, black squirrels, red squirrels, and one groundhog the size of a Vietnamese pot bellied pig burying nuts all over the yard during daytime. Most probably have deer there after dark, as well.
Years ago I resisted the advent of digital photography. Now I see that the Good Lord was just providing a way for me not to go bankrupt paying for film and processing!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts