The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my first bow last week and I'm hoping to get some practice in before going bowfishing later once it warms up. I picked up the Cajun Fish Stick recurve bow from Cabelas, an extra fishing arrow, 6 x-3 hunter arrows, and some field tips and broadheads. Mostly I'm looking for advice on where to go for bowfishing, as well as any pointers to getting started and getting proficient with the bow. Appreciate any answers that come through!

·
Registered
19,379 Posts
Aim lower than you think you have to. I filled a clear water bottle with expandable foam and tied it to a weight with a long string to pull it back in. Dropped it into different depth water at a local stream and took shots at it. That was an eye opener to have low you have to aim to make consistent hits. I mostly target carp in small urban streams.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Carp in the shallow backwashes in rivers and the shallows in ponds and lakes. April/May they will be spawning in these areas. Get yourself a good pair of polarized fishing sunglasses to help see them. Practice with the glasses on. And I second what dpms said about aiming low and practice. It is amazing how much water bends light therefore how very low you have to aim. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Good practice tip on "refraction".... as for stream bowfishing - you can not bowfish on stocked trout streams until the season opens on 4/3 this year.

As for where to go in Schuylkill Co. I'm not sure.... the river, Auburn Dam, but check any other lakes/streams you can(Deer Lake, Sweet Arrow, Tuscarora, etc.) Some smaller local parks(with ponds) may be an option BUT check the rules some do not allow weapons. If you are in Southern Schuylkill check out Kearcher, Ontelaunee, Blue Marsh(also a weapons ban in certain areas) and the river(Hamburg - Reading) I know they all have plenty of carp !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The practice tip is actually great! Thanks, I'll give that a try. As for the polarized glasses, I wear prescriptions that are transitions due to having issues with glare normally, as well as anti-glare coated. Wearing glasses over them has always messed up my vision a bit. Blue Marsh was actually number one on my list as I've seen some massive catfish down there in the stilling basin. And yea, I saw that rule, but that gives me some time to get the practice in as this is my first time really getting into archery.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The practice tip is actually great! Thanks, I'll give that a try. As for the polarized glasses, I wear prescriptions that are transitions due to having issues with glare normally, as well as anti-glare coated. Wearing glasses over them has always messed up my vision a bit. Blue Marsh was actually number one on my list as I've seen some massive catfish down there in the stilling basin. And yea, I saw that rule, but that gives me some time to get the practice in as this is my first time really getting into archery.
Sadly the stilling basin is one of the "off limit" areas for weapons(can't bowfish the special reg. area below either). The other "off limit" areas are the 2 ACOE boat launch areas, the "beach" day use areas, the Church Rd day use area and the Visitors area(think that's all). They sort of look the other way if you park in some of those areas and walk/boat to areas that are open to hunting BUT your weapon must be unloaded.... There was talk of allowing concealed carry but I don't know if they changed that part yet, of course that wouldn't help you out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts