The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my short hunting Career I have been lucky enough to take quite a few deer and a couple dandy bucks. Until this year all those deer had come from farms in Lehigh, Carbon, and Schuylkill counties. I dont belong to any camps in the big woods of north central pa and until this summer I had never even spent any time in north central pa until my grandfather took me to his cabin just outside of Renovo. I had planned on going bear hunting with him this year but do starting a new job the last week of September I couldnt make the trip(next year im going you can bet the farm on that lol). Well the last few years dad and I have been going to hunt in Catskills. It's pretty big country up there and it much different then sitting in tree a waiting for that buck you've been watching all summer. Up until this year I had never since a deer up there. I had found lots of neat stuff way back in them mountains like grave sites over 2 miles back and old stone walls that enclose sections of woods over 10 acres in size, but I could never find a deer lol. This yeah on the second saturday of the New York season I cut a set of tracks in the freshly fallen snow and followed them right to this guy. Although it's the smallest buck I've ever taken Im might proud of him. Sorry the pic's not the best we forgot the camera at home and had to use the cell phone.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Congrats on a find hunt ! The greatness of a buck is in the individual story.Yours is a trophy where I come from.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Excellent! If you are like me, once you track that first one down, you'll never look at a fresh track in the snow the same way again!

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
CONGRATS alpa!!! Always wanted to hunt up there just like you did there...if you can find and track down a buck up there you can do it anywhere!

Proud of ya man!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Congrats on your buck. Where in the Catskills do you hunt?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys it was a pretty awesome hunt. I cant wait to do it again next fall. Next year Im thinking Im going to traveling a little further north into the Adirondacks with the inline for the early season. If that doesnt work out then I'll be back on the same hill again with the rifle.

Letumfly...The closest town was Turnwood and that was about 18 miles from where we parked the truck. Turnwood is about 15 east of Liberty. Near where the Beaverkill starts. (Beautiful stream)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Liberty area holds a very good number of deer and especially nice bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts