The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crazy long story, but I`ll spare everyone the agony. Got a tip from a distant friend of a friend. He couldn`t make the first day cause of work. Ask`s if we want to go to a good spot. My spot was going to be heavily hunted from what i gathered. He said it was 3 miles off the beaten path. wow we thought, that`s a pretty good hike in unfamiliar territory in the dark. But unanimously we(brother in law, and a close friend, and I) decided we wanted an adventure. He clues us in very detailed directions, tree by tree. With gps in hand and me leading the three of us, things just weren`t lining up with what he told us. At about a mile and a half in, I said thats it, lets post. No sense in going to far when we didn`t know where we were really headed. I posted them around 75 yrds. apart then proceeded in myself another 75. Just getting ready set down my pack and get situated and a doe came within petting distance. I was upset, it was shooting time, and i was not prepared. So we stare at each other, then I realize there could be a buck behind her. I no longer got thru thinking that when she started moving, and here he comes. All I could think was thats it, I just missed the biggest buck of my life! My rifle was still slung under my pack. I immediately started dropping gear, ripping off scope covers, and took a knee against a tree and tried to find him in the scope while my heart sank, just trying to get a look at that rack one more time. Well, just as I lined up on him the Good Lord smiled upon me, that buck stopped for an instant, that was his last mistake.
Been hunting for 20 years. This was my first big one and what a buck!! Still smiling!!

Jim

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If u email me the pic i can help you out. But if you want to be able to do it yourself in the future then go to http://www.Photobucket.com and set up an acct. Then just click on the image code and insert it in the post.

·
Registered
946 Posts
No way that's a Venango County deer. We don't grow 'em that big up there.

More likely he was a mupper deer visting his relatives.

Seriously, congratulations on a great buck. It's good to see Venango representin'. Gotta be a story with those photos.

V

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazy long story, but I`ll spare everyone the agony. Got a tip from a distant friend of a friend. He couldn`t make the first day cause of work. Ask`s if we want to go to a good spot. My spot was going to be heavily hunted from what i gathered. He said it was 3 miles off the beaten path. wow we thought, that`s a pretty good hike in unfamiliar territory in the dark. But unanimously we(brother in law, and a close friend, and I) decided we wanted an adventure. He clues us in very detailed directions, tree by tree. With gps in hand and me leading the three of us, things just weren`t lining up with what he told us. At about a mile and a half in, I said thats it, lets post. No sense in going to far when we didn`t know where we were really headed. I posted them around 75 yrds. apart then proceeded in myself another 75. Just getting ready set down my pack and get situated and a doe came within petting distance. I was upset, it was shooting time, and i was not prepared. So we stare at each other, then I realize there could be a buck behind her. I no longer got thru thinking that when she started moving, and here he comes. All I could think was thats it, I just missed the biggest buck of my life! My rifle was still slung under my pack. I immediately started dropping gear, ripping off scope covers, and took a knee against a tree and tried to find him in the scope while my heart sank, just trying to get a look at that rack one more time. Well, just as I lined up on him the Good Lord smiled upon me, that buck stopped for an instant, that was his last mistake. Still smiling,Jim

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Firefighter25 said:
Nice truck...I mean nice buck (and truck). Congratulations!!
I 2nd that whole statement! Welcome to HPA. Love the mass on that great buck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts