The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this years bear trip would have to go down in the books for me, granted I did not tag out this year and was not expecting to since it was my first year. One of the reasons I enjoy going out into the woods is spend some Quality time out in Nature and think about the times I spent out there with my Father before he passed away 16 years ago. Granted My father and I usually didn't tag out we had a Blast just being out in the woods and away from the crowds. Below are some photos from the trip.

hunting budy from the trip as the Snow Started to Fall

Upon our Arrival in Sullivan County my hunting budy for this trip showed me around and Met some of his ol friends from back in the day. The Stories from the both of them will be embedded in my mind for the rest of my time here on this Earth. They both talked about how back in the day they ran the mountain tops and had a blast back then, Then how the times have changed around there.

When we got to one of Our spots we walked around and did some more homework saw alot of good bear tracks about a day old and saw alot of Good Fresh buck rubs all around the swamps. We Also saw where the bear and Deer were climbing up over a Wired Fence between the boundaries of the State Forest and Private. We made our Journey back down the Mountain and headed to our place for the night.

Begining of the Snow Fall

Opening day began with a good drive up to the top of the mountain to our spot. Fresh snow feel the night before and the Scene of Mother Nature's finest was great. We sat for a few hours and decided to walk after a group of Hunters showed up to do their Drive and My budy and I did not think it was right if we would of scored a Bear while their group did the work so went and found a few more spots and tracked one set for an hour or so. As Light started to decline and more snow started to fall we found our stands for the Second day. While out and about we came across a Group of hunters that just got back from dragging their Trophy for the day a nice black close to 200lbs or more.

Drive up to the mountain

Day 2 We Set up in our Stands at the base of the mountain rd and between to ridges. My budy set up at the fork in the creek and I began my hike up to the next bench and had great views of the upper ridge, the bench I was on and the Creek down below. We both sat for a few hours and I thought I would start walking back down and made my slow walk back to my budy. We had to call it a Day around 3pm cause I had to start to make my journey home due to being back in work for 36 hrs. But before Leaving we made our way back to High Knob my budy wanted to show me the views from their. While making the Drive up to the top We had a flock of turks run across the Roadway and I was able to catch a few with the Camera before they disappeared into the woods. I have to admit the Views from atop were amazing and I wish I was living there instead of the everyday growing over and Over Congested Area where everyone is in the Rush to get someplace.

Pictures from Day 2

Photos from high Knob

While on the way home we stopped at the Deer camp that I will be hunting from for the first time since My father Passed away and will be up there for two days at the end of the first week. The camp is an upgrade from the Original cabin a few miles away that I can only remember when I was a youngster.

The Joy of just being out in the Woods and I have to admit this is the First Time I have hunted in the Big Woods Was a Great Pleasure for me and I know I will be back up there Again Next year and many more to come.

Sorry for the huge photos but I wanted to share them.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
nice series of pics. thanks for sharing

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
That is a great storyline right there... thanks for sharing!!! Some great area, I have been in those parts before and it sure is a little piece of heaven!!!

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
thank you very much......great photos and what a camp. i don;t even know if that's classified as a camp. that's a big house.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
beautiful cabin

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Great story and beautiful pics.....congrats on a successful first bear hunt (even if you didn't harvest one, if you enjoyed yourself I always say its a success)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, I have to agree the Cabin is just a huge house he just had it built last year and I think in the future it is going to be his retirement place in the future, I just know the original cabin they still use but they out grew it back in the mid 80's when they first started the hunting club they only had 5 but from what he is telling me they grew to 25 with a waiting list. I am lucky to get in since My father was one of the Original founders and always had a spot but this is the First year I can actually cash in and go up there with the gang so it should be fun.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Nice story, took me back to when I spent allot of time up at High Knob. Great area, good memories and 2 nice bear in my game room off of Bear Mountain. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woodswise, that was Our original plan was to hunt bear mountain but when we got up there and my budy spoke to his friend there he told us that the whole mountain was now posted, so when we drove up there to the part of the mountain he knew sure as heck posted signs all over so that is when we moved to the back up plan

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Up on Bear Mountain there are allot of hunting cabins and clubs. Bear Mountain is a big mt. and there is so much more to it then the top up at shunk. Always ran into some posted ground all over up there. I shot 1 bear at a place called middle hill on Bear Mt. and 1 closer to Hillsgrove, that was 5-10 years ago. I believe there is someone on here from shunk, I'm sure he could tell us both a thing or 2 about bear mt. Just found out the other day a friend I use to hunt with from up there died a few years back, a good man, nicest guy you'll ever meet. Your story brought back some good memories.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Great photo's and story. I hunt just above in Bradford County and that whole area is just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts