The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out a bit after work today to try and find stuff that I missed the first time I detected. I got a signal that I said to myself was a wheat penny. As I uncovered it I realized it was a silver dime! I brushed some of the dirt off of the back and saw "one dime". I got really excited as I turned it over and saw 1898 as the date. This is my FIRST barber, my FIRST 1800's coin, AND my FIRST "o" mintmark. Also, it is the oldest coin I have found period. I really did not expect this from a house that was built in the early 1950's. It was a very very nice surprise.

The only logical explanation for finding this today is what I found last week at another property I was hunting....

I looked it up online, but couldn't find a date for when these were made, but I'm guessing maybe 1940's-1950's. Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i have a swastika medallion as well that i found. says "carry for good luck always. 8 hours work, 8 hours play, 8 hours sleep"

·
Registered
263 Posts
vanmic35 said:
Went out a bit after work today to try and find stuff that I missed the first time I detected. I got a signal that I said to myself was a wheat penny. As I uncovered it I realized it was a silver dime! I brushed some of the dirt off of the back and saw "one dime". I got really excited as I turned it over and saw 1898 as the date. This is my FIRST barber, my FIRST 1800's coin, AND my FIRST "o" mintmark. Also, it is the oldest coin I have found period. I really did not expect this from a house that was built in the early 1950's. It was a very very nice surprise.

The only logical explanation for finding this today is what I found last week at another property I was hunting....

I looked it up online, but couldn't find a date for when these were made, but I'm guessing maybe 1940's-1950's. Thanks for looking!

The medallion is probably from the 1920’s – 1930’s. The swastika was a popular good luck symbol prior to the Nazis adopting the symbol, after which, it was no longer used in the western countries.

Great finds for both the dime and the token.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice find. I never new it was a good luck symbol until I found this
token. How did you clean yours? I'd like to clean mine up a bit.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i just rinsed mine off with water and all was well as you see it above. well, with the aid of a toothbrush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts