The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Definetly need some new leg material. I will be buying a brown sharpie as well. Not too bad for late night tying and playing around with new paterns. I still am very excited to try this thing out. I imagine the trout will smash it like a ton of bricks......If they hit it.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Looks pretty good. Watch how much time you go putting into this for fishing though because I found more times than not that the ultra realistic flies I was tying did not perform well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i typically use flies that i wouldn't even sell to a customer. I just wanted to play around and see how close i can get. Plus i don't want to snap my rod on purpose because i put a fly that took 20 mins to tie into a tree. More or less playing around right now. I want to see what the fish think.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can guarantee you that that fly will take fish.

In Montana, we fish a lot, and I mean a LOT, of Pat's Rubber Legs, which is a very simple stone fly pattern.

Yours is somewhere in between that pattern and the most realistic ones, and they all catch fish - the biggest difference between them, imo, is the fisherman not the fly.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MT_flyfisher said:
I can guarantee you that that fly will take fish.

In Montana, we fish a lot, and I mean a LOT, of Pat's Rubber Legs, which is a very simple stone fly pattern.

Yours is somewhere in between that pattern and the most realistic ones, and they all catch fish - the biggest difference between them, imo, is the fisherman not the fly.
You nailed it right there. A lot of flies these days catch more fisherman that trout.

The streams are up but hopefully i can sneak away for a little tomorow morning. Just and hour would work. Hope to post at least one success pic. I am thinking of using this fly in tandem with a smaller basic nymph. The trout will at least look at this thing and have it catch its eye and if it doesnt hit this i am sure it will take the little nymph. WE SHALL SEE.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Good tie. I did a lot of ultra real patterns a few years back. You mentioned changing the legs: try black broom bristles. you can get the bends by heating a needle and quickly touching it where you want the bend. Mono colored with a sharpie works well also.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
paul whillock... the master at ultra real flies. Do a google image/web search and check his work UNREAL how REAL they look.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Looks like a nice one for display in a shadow box . Good job , Mike !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts