The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
If it's a fun shoot you will be allowed a rangefinder and I would recommend someone have one in your group, but check with the club to be sure. They will also have stakes for different classes set at different yardages. It's fun to shoot the farthest stakes where most of your shots at deer will be in the 30 to 40 yard range. Try to guess the yardage first and then range it to see how close you are at estimating.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Judging yardage is becoming a lost art with everyone owning rangefinders but there are times when moving you won't have time to use it! We used to shoot 3-d comp. all over the US and when practicing or at a local shoot would take the shot and then check the yardage to see if we were off in our estimation or just didn't make a good shot. When I go for my evening walks I am always judging to objects ahead of me.

·
Super Moderator
13,216 Posts
Before range finders I would walk a mile to work and would estimate distances to sign, buildings etc. then I would count steps to verify distances. I changed the obstacles all every trip so I was not working from memory.

That was years ago and I still and pretty accurate to 50 yds. But yes I am sure it is a lost art.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm definatly going to work on this. I don't have a rangefinder and do plan on buying one but I would love to learn how to judge without it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Clairton Sportsmen's club will be holding a 30 target 3D fun shoot every Wednesday starting July 13th from 4 pm to dusk until the start of Archery season,everyone is welcome. Time to sharpen your skills for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well today was the day and I loved has a blast. Shot pretty good especially since we didn't have a range finder. I went with my brother who got me into shooting and had a friendly little competition. Scored a 225 out of 300. He got me by 5 points. Only lost 2 arrows too but luckily I decided to bring the old ones I had laying around so no big deal. Looking forward to the next one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts