The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I knew a lot until the other day at the range. As I previous posted about a new build of a 6x47 Laupa on a 700 action. I was out this past Sunday working loads at the range. I noticed a primer that looked like I drilled a hole in it, another was partly out. I couldn't not believe I had a pressure issue with this moderate load bolt opened easy. I called a shooting buddy up in Wisc. and he told me to check out Gre-Tan a gunsmith in Colorado of what he does to a bolt. Sure enough found out my problem watching his video. He had a bolt cut in half showing how the firing pin goes forward but at last second the area is funnel shape and the firing pin hole is to large meaning it does not hit primer square. His fix is for $87.00 includes return shipping of installing an insert in bolt with smaller hole and turning the end of the pin. I was very impressed and sent mine off today. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Im also thinking with this case of a 308 boltface and small rifle primer less of an area for a pin with slop to hit properly.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
What brand/type of primer were you using?

Some have softer cups than others. In my 17 Remington I use CCI BR4's since they have a harder cup.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Never experienced it but it sounds reasonable.

Not to hijack your thread but what's the reasoning behind going to small rifle primers anyway......

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what it is. A 6.5 x 47 case necked to 243. The case is a small rifle primer, I think its intent to keep pressure down.

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
I never heard of this type of problem but your info is good to know.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Google Gre'-Tan Rifles, shop services, than bolt work. A friend of mine highly recommended this guy but he has a video of what he does very impressing. It can happen to any rifle when the firing pin hole is to large.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had this same problem with my 6.5 x 47. I actually bushed mine myself. I have heard from some shooters that they used PT&G bolts during their builds and not had this problem.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had my model 7 done on my 17-204 because I was piercing primers with moderate loads. Gretan is the man. For your 6x47 use CCI 450's or BR 4 primers, or better yet Wolf SRM's. You need a heavy cup primer to get the performance outta this case.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much! Care to share any load data for 95 and 105's. I started with H-4350 but have about every powder that's popular.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Mine is a 10 twist. Won't do 105's. I used 95 gr BIB's or Precision Ballistics "bughole" bullets with H4350. Also varget with lighter pills is excellent for varmints. Hear good stuff about RE17 but never tried it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts