The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your projectiles of choice that you have found to be accurate with the 1/48 twist? Gonna be spending some time this summer and looking for some options. I have been shooting the Maxi-Hunters behind 90 grains of 2F.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
WHen i use to have a firestorm, i found that round balls with 90g of 3 F was the most accurate for me.. I still wish i had that gun.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Powerbelt aerotips .245 with 80 gr 3F BP gives me TIGHT groups at 50 yds. I'm gonna mess with the loads some more this summer and work on patched RB's. cheaper on the wallet if I find the right load.

Hopefully will start casting my own RB's too. I love this gun, but do want to get a more traditional style flinter someday

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Maxi Hunter 350 grain with 90 grains 2F work great for mine. I have never tried round balls but I have heard the same as what Zac stated, they work very well out of Firestorms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I shoot 320 grain maxi-balls with 70 grains of 3f bp. I used to use 275 grain maxi-hunters with the same amount of powder that worked very well too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
295 Aerotip Powerbelts and 90gr.(settled) of 2F BP. Seat the Powerbelt firmly on the powder but no need to pound it down. I run a spit patch after every shot. Five shot group at 75 yards of just under 2".....Yep, it's that accurate. The biggest issue that I've found with people shooting any muzzleloader is that many are not very good at shooting with open sights. It takes a lot of practice, but open sights can be deadly accurate at surprisingly long ranges.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
A lot of bullets.

powerbelts, round balls, thor conicals, some sabots, multiple conicals. Just cover your eyes with one hand, do a twirl and with your other hand, grab something in the pile, go shoot!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
240gr Shockwaves, 90gr American Pioneer fff. Kills deer dead.

·
Registered
332 Posts
powerbelts have been the choice for my brother,we spend a lot of time playing with different loads[which by the way will make you a better shooter no matter what you load] 70-85 grains depends if using 2F or 3F.just a little 4F in the pan,to much will bring you disapoinment

·
Registered
18,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bronzeback said:
295 Aerotip Powerbelts and 90gr.(settled) of 2F BP.
That bullet/powder combo has been suggested to me on more than one occasion. Sounds like that is one load I am gonna try.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ZacPAbowhunter said:
WHen i use to have a firestorm, i found that round balls with 90g of 3 F was the most accurate for me.. I still wish i had that gun.
This is my load as well. I have not tried the powerbelts yet, but plan to for next season. I'm going to stick with the PBR for the rest of the SRA season since I feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
dpms said:
Whats your projectiles of choice that you have found to be accurate with the 1/48 twist? Gonna be spending some time this summer and looking for some options. I have been shooting the Maxi-Hunters behind 90 grains of 2F.
That is exactly what I shoot...

·
Registered
18,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bought some 245 Powerbelts today and some Hornady 240 XTPs. Looking forward to the spring to get serious.

Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Bronzeback said:
295 Aerotip Powerbelts and 90gr.(settled) of 2F BP. Seat the Powerbelt firmly on the powder but no need to pound it down. I run a spit patch after every shot. Five shot group at 75 yards of just under 2".....Yep, it's that accurate. The biggest issue that I've found with people shooting any muzzleloader is that many are not very good at shooting with open sights. It takes a lot of practice, but open sights can be deadly accurate at surprisingly long ranges.

Owned a FS for 5 years & that was the best field load. At the range the 370 TC maxiball cut good paper holes too but offered lil or no expansion on deer sized game.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts