The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size patch is everyone who shoots a TC Firestorm shooting with a .490 roundball? Picked one up recently, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
My Firestorm shot better with Powerbelts than round balls, but I have heard /read guys say just the opposite. I got rid of my Firestorm a couple of years ago as it never shot as well as my PA Hunter. Have you tried powerbelts?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Firestorm shot better with Powerbelts than round balls, but I have heard /read guys say just the opposite. I got rid of my Firestorm a couple of years ago as it never shot as well as my PA Hunter. Have you tried powerbelts?

NO, because my last flinter was stolen from my dad's truck a few years ago, and I never replaced it. This one came around, and I grabbed it for a good price. I may try them, an see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
23,684 Posts
Owned a TC Firestorm which has a 1-48 twist bbl and never shot round balls well for me. Sold gun as it never met my expectations same as any other 1-48 barreled ml I owned. The 295 grain Powerbelt Aerotips did group half decent. For...me it's either really slow or fast twist(primarily inlines). The FS did come with a fairly fast lock for a factory stamped ml plus removable breech plug was nice..

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
i owned a firestorm and switched to a CVA optima. i like the inlines better. but i did shoot powerbelts out of my TC and they were pretty accurate. i can just about touch holes at 100 yards out of my Optima with 295 grain copper clad HP powerbelt and a Simmons 3x9 scope.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
NO, because my last flinter was stolen from my dad's truck a few years ago, and I never replaced it. This one came around, and I grabbed it for a good price. I may try them, an see how it goes.
I would try the lighter 245 grain Power Belts. Mine shoots them great. A 1/48 will do much better with lighter and therefore shorter projectiles.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would try the lighter 245 grain Power Belts. Mine shoots them great. A 1/48 will do much better with lighter and therefore shorter projectiles.

Thanks, I am gonna try them. The round balls shot good with a .015 patch but I need to work on my form a bit too. lol :grin2:

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
thats why i got rid of my firestorm. when the powder in the pan would ignite, i would flinch everytime it went off. i missed a doe one time, two of them standing together, the pan ignited but the gun didnt go off. i figured more powder in the pan would make sure the gun goes boom. :)

i filled that pan, plus some....pan and gun goes KA-BOOM...KA-BLOOEY....the smoke finally clears and i can see again and there are two deer looking at the cloud of smoke slowing drifting thru the woods. i guess they couldnt figure out what blew up. my buddy who was about 60 yards away in a treestand watched the entire show and thought i blew myself up when that shot went off. i could hear him laughing from where i was.

did i mention i like inlines better :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My firestorm will shoot a ball or a 245g aerotip in nearly the same hole.

My favorite is the cva buckhorns i got from cabelas about 15 years ago. On clearance for 49.99. I got the .45 and .50, both are 2inch groupers at 100yd. Killed lots of deer in october and in the sra's.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats why i got rid of my firestorm. when the powder in the pan would ignite, i would flinch everytime it went off. i missed a doe one time, two of them standing together, the pan ignited but the gun didnt go off. i figured more powder in the pan would make sure the gun goes boom. :)

i filled that pan, plus some....pan and gun goes KA-BOOM...KA-BLOOEY....the smoke finally clears and i can see again and there are two deer looking at the cloud of smoke slowing drifting thru the woods. i guess they couldnt figure out what blew up. my buddy who was about 60 yards away in a treestand watched the entire show and thought i blew myself up when that shot went off. i could hear him laughing from where i was.

did i mention i like inlines better :)

Yeah, I was a lil cheap on the 4F and had a misfire. Picked the flash hole, and bam.. I was back in business. My dad decided to tell me his muzzy is still loaded from last year. OMG... So after we blast it off, or dig it out, guess who is going to have to clean it... YEP ME. Im not a inline guy.. never was. If I was in a SRA I would be good, but now I am getting into suppressor hunting, and I fill most of my tags in archery. My flinter is my last ditch effort. I am kinda lying, I love flinter season and being in the woods in the cold. I'm Pennsylvanian... its tradition!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts