The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having fireplace issues and was thinking about putting a wood insert into the fireplace and installing a stainless liner in my fireplace chimney. It doesn't seem too complicated. Just wondering if an insert that burns wood is worth buying and if anyone has installed a liner themself?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Make sure it has a blower on it you can use. Its not that hard to put the liner to the stove, cap and thimble on top. Liner can be pricey but....My parents have one, rebuild the retainers for firebrick and replaced brick, but its been in there since 79, not too shabby.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
You'll get way more heat with the insert, particularly if you have a blower. Maybe not as romantic as a fireplace, but much more efficient.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
josh77 said:
I'm having fireplace issues and was thinking about putting a wood insert into the fireplace and installing a stainless liner in my fireplace chimney. It doesn't seem too complicated. Just wondering if an insert that burns wood is worth buying and if anyone has installed a liner themself?
Honestly, if you are trying to heat with it a wood/hard coal version would be the best bet for you to pursue.....Harman makes a good one...

You could burn wood when home, then coal when you are away, and it would keep a fire all day with the coal bank.......you could also bank it with coal at night to keep the fire at night, or just burn straight coal.....

Hard coal is easily accessible in your area.....

Also, you may not need to line the whole chimney, as long as you are getting good draft and not having creosote problems, you could run stainless to just above the damper, and then block the surrounding area of the flue off.......

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Josh what are your issues with the fireplace?
There was a thread in the Hunting Camp section. I would be happy to walk you thorough what I have done. The changes increased the heat output nicely.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My issue is that when I make a fire on my main floor, I get smoke in my basement from a second flue that goes to the basement. I've had 2 people look at it, we've sealed the one that goes to the basement, sealed cracks, opened windows, removed the chimney cap......and still get basement smoke. I'm thinking the fire box has cracks but I can't see them. 2 years I've messed with this.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
RonM said:
Might be getting a downdraft from the roof........
That is a possibility, but they should be entirely different flues altogether.......

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Josh, I am slightly confused. Are you stating that you still have smoke in basement fireplace with the end of basement flue completely closed off? Or are you stating you have the smell of fireplace in basement?
Might be best to take this to pm till we figure it out.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get smoke in my basement from the fire i build upstairs. There are 2 flues... #1 for my fireplace on main floor and #2 is another one that runs to the basement for a wood burner (no longer there). #2 is sealed off at the top and bottome (it was relined a couple years ago with a stainless liner). Somehow smoke from flue #1 is getting pulled down through the cement block in the walls and into the basement.
My plan was to reline #1 and put an insert in...thus avoiding any possible cracks in the firebox which may be causing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts