got the drum running low and slow

loaded the charcoal basket to the top with around 16# of charcoal

next we added 2 hunks of apple and one piece of oak and 10 lit coals

heres the 8# boston butt rubed and ready to go. been on for awhile now

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wind is really howling out, doesn't seem to have any effect on the drum though, running like a champ, did shut the valve alittle to lower the temps but all is going good

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
About $1.73 worth of charcoal there

I'm still tearing up WalMart--especially the one at Buckhorn which has self service

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Who do we need to call for take out service!!!. Looks good so far, I hope you post pics. of the finished product.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no doubt stock up while ya can

this drum is awesome i wouldn't dream of trying to use my offset out today. the drum runs rock steady. i just look out the window every now and then, i can see the temp gauge from the window and have the maverick sittng beside me so i know whats going on without even being outside

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll post pictures as we go but i don't do alot of peeking with the drum theres really no need to. i probobly won't open the lid till the meat hits 165 and goes into foil till we reach 200 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i peeked, looking good, had to put 20# of weight on the smoker to keep from blowing over, its VERY windy

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just had some sideways rain come thru, this is not going as planned

temps still holding steady though

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
abort abort abort

wind just blew a section of siding off the house, time to shut down the smoker. its running great but i'm afraid its gonna blow over so i shut it down and have moved inside, its smells so good in here

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we're almost ready to go, heres the secret right here

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
So how's the house?

..and what's in the jar?

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
house is still here, man what a nastey day. heres whats in the jar and imo it makes the q. not my recipie but i have tweeked the amounts to my taste

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mine is built pretty much to what is considered the standared. i'll find the link in a bit. it worked great today in some horrible conditions i was just afraid it was literally gonna blow away so i shut it down

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just peeked at it while its "resting". man does it look good i have no doubt the bone will pull out by hand.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the finished product, man is it good. thanks for enjoying my day off

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
wind is really howling out, doesn't seem to have any effect on the drum though, running like a champ, did shut the valve alittle to lower the temps but all is going good

250 Degrees???

A little high there for Smoke Temp, Don't ya think...250 degrees is more like Low heated Cooking!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts