The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If ya got 'em, keep 'em secured:

Updated: May 17, 2011 11:15 AM EDT
By Myles Snyder - email

STEWARTSTOWN, Pa. (WHTM) - State police said someone forced their way into a York County home and stole more than $35,000 worth of property.

The stolen property includes over $26,000 in long guns, shotguns and handguns in addition to two televisions, three laptops, three video gaming systems, ammunition, and $1,100 in currency, police said.

Food and household items such as shampoo and medicines were also taken during the May 5 burglary along Little Road in Hopewell Township, police said.

Anyone with information may call state police in York at (717) 428-1011.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
Unfortunately the guns seem never to resurface again. My G-pa had six long guns stolen ten years ago and none have ever turned up. I had my Dan Wesson .357 stolen from my truck in '04 and I've never heard anything on that gun ever again. It was a gift from my G-pa and one of the few guns the thieves missed when they broke into his house. They also missed a Husqvarna .30-06 which my G-pa then gave to me and I still have. I do miss that Dan Wesson .357 though, it had the interchangable barrels and I had a 4" and an 8" for it. I had taken two deer with it and it was very accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Most thieves finding $26k in guns, and a thousand in cash would never stop to steal TV, video games...and certainly not "Food and household items such as shampoo".
There is a clue as to 'who' in that!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
that was my thought as well. they would have taken the guns and ran. why stop for shampoo, food and the bullets?
can you say "insurance claim"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,781 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
that was my thought as well. they would have taken the guns and ran. why stop for shampoo, food and the bullets?
can you say "insurance claim"
They must've studied this place for a while..Seems that they knew they had all the time in the world...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,007 Posts
You would need alot of time to get everything that they got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
I had a 38 snubbie stolen from storage in 2004 while deployed. crack dealer got caught with it, I went to his sentancing and when it was my oppertunity to speak as a victim, I asked the judge if I could get my 38 back rather than restitution at 19 cents /hr. I got it back about 2 weeks ago, needed cleaned but still in very nice shape,,,,I got very lucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PSP officer indicated on this evening's newscast, that the perps knew what they were after and that it was not a random break in.

Obviously, if they had time to take all that stuff, they had done their "homework" well?

Yet another reason to be careful about flappin' ones' gums, about what ya have at home and what your plans are, for not being at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Most break ins are by relatives, ex-relatives, friends, friends of chidren, and workmen that have been into your house. If a relative gets a divorce, I suggest changing (re-keying)your locks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,474 Posts
Most homeowners policies cover only guns to a $500 limit. I have all of mine on a scheduled personal property rider. Cost is $1 per $100 value annually.

Ten years ago, I had two rifles with Leupold scopes stolen from my unlocked truck while it was parked in the driveway overnight. Township police took the info, including serial nos. A year later, they got a call about shooting behind a home at night. Officer found two boys with my Remington 541 .22. He went to his station, ran the serial no., and determined it to be my stolen gun. Two months later, I testified before a District Judge that it was my gun. Case went to Common Pleas court. He was charged with disturbing the peace and possession of a stolen gun. At a preliminary hearing, the Judge threw out the stolen gun case because the officer "did not have reasonable cause" to take the gun before checking the serial number. In other words, he should have checked the serial number on the scene. The county DA refused to appeal this decision, the 19 year old kid paid a fine for disturbing peace. I finally got the gun back. My insurance company told me to just keep it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most break ins are by relatives, ex-relatives, friends, friends of chidren, and workmen that have been into your house. If a relative gets a divorce, I suggest changing (re-keying)your locks.
Don't know if "most" is the best choice there, as I would say "many"?

Most break ins probably have a connection to someone in that group having run their mouths in public, about someone they know having lots of firearms.

I figure it's better to keep that sort of info within a very small group of friends, none of whom tend to flap their gums about such things?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Had my remington model 700 stolen. I got a call from the Kitanning police 2years later. I went up there and identified the gun. It was in perfect condition. The police said they had to hold onto it til after a trial. It was in possession of the person during a stop with drugs in car. I went to trial and the guy said he found it. He got in trouble for drugs but nothing for gun. When I finally got gun back it was all beat up. I don't think the police took good care if it. But at least I got it back.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
39,026 Posts
DennyF said:
PSP officer indicated on this evening's newscast, that the perps knew what they were after and that it was not a random break in.

Obviously, if they had time to take all that stuff, they had done their "homework" well?
Figured that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Word of caution to all of those that love to get bored and post pictures of their gun collections for all to see
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
DennyF said:
If ya got 'em, keep 'em secured:

Updated: May 17, 2011 11:15 AM EDT
By Myles Snyder - email

STEWARTSTOWN, Pa. (WHTM) - State police said someone forced their way into a York County home and stole more than $35,000 worth of property.

The stolen property includes over $26,000 in long guns, shotguns and handguns in addition to two televisions, three laptops, three video gaming systems, ammunition, and $1,100 in currency, police said.

Food and household items such as shampoo and medicines were also taken during the May 5 burglary along Little Road in Hopewell Township, police said.

Anyone with information may call state police in York at (717) 428-1011.
owner would not let the police into the house
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Source? And why would someone report a burglary, then not let police inside, to investigate it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
People that do this should be tared and feathered in public then have thief tatoed on forehead.

I have had two hunting campsites robbed. No fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
ConfusiousSays said:
Word of caution to all of those that love to get bored and post pictures of their gun collections for all to see
Very true but the main thing about that is don't have your address in your profile! Also dont release your name and date of birth.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top