The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing this term come up lately to describe AR designed modern sporting rifles. We need to stop using this term, "weapon". I will say this again. The term "weapon" classifies a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #000099">firearm</span></span></span> with intent to harm. No <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #000099">firearm</span></span></span> is a weapon unless used in defense of one's security or for nefarious reasons. As a law abiding citizen, I do not own a "weapon". I own a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #000099">firearm</span></span></span>. As a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and pro-gun ownership, I will constantly correct this term of usage. However, I should not have to with other "pro-gun ownership" citizens.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
FWIW, NRA firearms classes always de-emphasized the use of the term "weapon" in favor of the term "firearm".

I used to grumble at that bit of nitpickery, but came to appreciate it years ago.

We need to keep setting outdoor writers straight, when they continually use the term "assault weapons" in their articles.

All they are doing is reinforcing the notion started by the likes of Fineswine, Schumer and others, when they insist on doing that.

Assault <span style="font-style: italic">rifles</span>, capable of full auto fire, are commonally used by the military.

By definition, the AR class of rifles and any similar semis, are not assault rifles.

There is no such definition of an "assault weapon" existing anywhere that refers to rifles, other than that created by the antis for the purposes of demonizing both the semi auto firearm and the owners of same.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Weap-on n. A device used in fighting a war; a device which can be used to harm another person.

Agreed!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree fully. I use an AR 15 hunting in ND every year . It's not a weapon, it's my hunting riffle, ie a firearm used to take down big game for sport and to feed my family.!!!!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Anything can be a weapon. A well placed house cat can be a weapon. More people are killed by hammers each year than firearms. I agree, the correct term is firearm.

They don't call a car a weapon, they call it a car. Seems pretty simple, right?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I totally agree! I have been guilty of useing the "W" term but I will be extremely careful in the future, and will correct those that use it when I can do so in a tactful manner! Thats about as PC as I can get!
Smage

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
It’s all semantics, just political correctness.

Particularly as regards the 2nd amendment, the use of the term weapon is perhaps more appropriate. The right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with hunting or recreational shooting; it’s specifically about the right of the citizenry to protect themselves against government and personal harm. In other words, the right to use arms in defense against other people, hence in terms of the 2nd amendment we have the right to bear weapons.

loridr

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Assault Rifle verses Assault Weapon - Definitions

In the ongoing gun debates, I see the media, and more disturbing, gun-owning sportsmen on the forum using the term assault "rifle" and assault "weapon" interchangeably, which is exactly what the anti's want.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. Possibly in these times this kind of definition needs to be pinned to the top of the forum or something, so all gun owners understand the weasel words the anti-gun politicians are using to confuse the issue.

The key characteristic of a military assault rifle is the ability to select between semi-auto and full-auto fire. Such as the M-16 or AK-47.

Here is a condensed summary of what the now-expired federal law called an "assault weapon". This text is from Wikipedia but you can find numerous sources of the information

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and <span style="font-weight: bold">two</span> or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

As you can see, it is now possible to start to debate exactly what a "pistol grip" is. What you and I might consider to be a pistol grip might not be in alignment with what a liberal, gun-hating judge might think. Or what a "hand hold" is.

Lots of wiggle room for interpretation, and once there is a crack of wiggle room, they are going to try to pry that open into a chasm.

Spread the word about "assault rifle" verses what they could classify as an "assault weapon". And be extra vigilant in how you talk about the ban, what an AR is.

And what it is not. It is NOT an military assault rifle.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
It's all part of the wedge they are trying to insert between firearm owners. Another example... Reed's attempt to redefine the Harrisburg show into one dedicated to the heritage of hunting and fishing. It meshes perfectly to what the POTUS is now saying about appreciating the hunting heritage.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curly Maple said:
It's all part of the wedge they are trying to insert between firearm owners. Another example... Reed's attempt to redefine the Harrisburg show into one dedicated to the heritage of hunting and fishing. It meshes perfectly to what the POTUS is now saying about appreciating the hunting heritage.
+1

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The POTUS and his supporters are masters of misinformation. Too many within our ranks have been "snookered" into believing that he is looking out for them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a tendency to call them weapons because that is what I was taught to call them when I was in the Army. Either rifle or weapon.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
CPO-Sharkey,
Old habits are HARD TO BREAK BUT TRY! The Libs use the terms ASSAULT and WEAPON to put a negative Spin on all of the things that they do not like!!
Smage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts