The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
If I need a fire extinguisher in my truck, its time to bale out and let it burn.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Yeah I had em but I need new ones.Those old dry chemical jobs ruin everything they touch from what I,ve been told.Halon was a huge improvement.Maybe there is a better one than halon now.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
atr said:
You have insurance on your home also, that's some logic you guys have
how so? I have life insurance and dont have one strapped to one of my appendages.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
atr said:
You have insurance on your home also, that's some logic you guys have
With all due respect, I do structural forensic evaluations of buildings due to many types of events including fire losses. Fires are the worst. Most of the time I look at them and think to myself "they should have waited another half an hour before calling the fire department." After getting rid of the smoke and water damaged materials and uncovering the structural damages, you typically have quite the mess on your hands. That being said, I do have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of a small grease fire or something like that.

As for my vehicle (which I like by the way), I'd rather it be totaled than have someone try and restore it if it were fire damaged. So, as for having a fire extinguisher in my truck... I'm not inclined to do it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So if you are in car accident and are trapped inside and its on fire we should just let it burn with you in it since you have ins. on you and the the car? Can you put a sticker on your car stating that so I don't waste my trucks fire extinguisher on you.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
jakesroost said:
So if you are in car accident and are trapped inside and its on fire we should just let it burn with you in it since you have ins. on you and the the car? Can you put a sticker on your car stating that so I don't waste my trucks fire extinguisher on you.
I get what you're saying. I guess better to have something than nothing all. But if you're trapped inside a burning vehicle and you're depending on a small fire extinguisher to save your life, you're in deep weeds. The fire extinguisher would probably best be used as a battering ram to break out a window.
And by the way, if you think I'm such a complete idiot that you wouldn't waste your fire extinguisher on me, well so be it.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
We mount inside both front doors.
If you are DOT make sure you put the stickers where the extinguishers are. Driver's door, toolbox etc.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
WexfordBowhunter said:
jakesroost said:
I get what you're saying. I guess better to have something than nothing all. But if you're trapped inside a burning vehicle and you're depending on a small fire extinguisher to save your life, you're in deep weeds. The fire extinguisher would probably best be used as a battering ram to break out a window.
And by the way, if you think I'm such a complete idiot that you wouldn't waste your fire extinguisher on me, well so be it.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. And encourage you to not just think about yourself. Honestly, until this past bear season, I would have agreed with you.
Anyway, I was talking to a guy in our group who had an F-150 that caught fire. The fire took off quickly and he barely had time to get out. The big concern was that he had two kids. Fortunately they were not with him when it happened. But what if they had been?????
Two kids....strapped in their child seats......in a fire....and you barely have time to get out yourself it goes up so fast. That fire extinguisher could be a lifesaver.
You never know what is going to happen. Whether it be kids, adults, your pet or any other passenger who may be in your vehicle.
For something as simple and inexpensive as a fire extinguisher, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stuff happens. FWIW.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
jakesroost said:
FWIW, cars colliding and then bursting into flames is the kinda stuff that comes from Hollywood. More of an unnatural fear than an actual reality.

As others have said, a fire extinguisher would serve better purposes than attempting to extinguish a working car fire...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
kudu58 said:
WexfordBowhunter said:
jakesroost said:
I have to respectfully disagree with you. And encourage you to not just think about yourself. Honestly, until this past bear season, I would have agreed with you.
Anyway, I was talking to a guy in our group who had an F-150 that caught fire. The fire took off quickly and he barely had time to get out. The big concern was that he had two kids. Fortunately they were not with him when it happened. But what if they had been?????
Two kids....strapped in their child seats......in a fire....and you barely have time to get out yourself it goes up so fast. That fire extinguisher could be a lifesaver.
You never know what is going to happen. Whether it be kids, adults, your pet or any other passenger who may be in your vehicle.
For something as simple and inexpensive as a fire extinguisher, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stuff happens. FWIW.
That is sound advice.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I'm an insurance agent and I probably average at least one or two total losses from fires each year.Usually if the wiring harness goes up in flames,it ends up being a total loss.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
RobOz said:
kudu58 said:
WexfordBowhunter said:
jakesroost said:
That is sound advice.
Guys, again I get what you're saying, but if you've got folks with you in the the truck and its on fire, your time would be way better spent helping them get unbuckled and out rather than messing around with your fire extinguisher. If the truck's on fire, the fuel system is likely involved and it could blow at any second. My priority would be making sure everyone was unbuckled and out. I wouldn't waste one second of precious time trying to put the fire out. That cab would fill up with noxious fumes so fast, you or your passengers wouldn't stand a chance. This is just my opinion and I think my reasoning is pretty sound.

btw. I apologize for getting a bit snarky. When someone made a comment to the effect that I would be a complete waste of a fire extinguisher, just because they disagree with my opinion, that got me a little steamed. Honestly, the stuff people say when when they're hiding behind a computer slays me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think your referring to my comment but what slays me is people behind a computer not thinking of real life situations where something could be handy to have but since you don't have a desire to have one,you would just rather let it burn and let insurance pay for it.I just hope you or your family are never in the need to have one used to save you or them but for karma sake I will never say just to let it burn.

·
Registered
559 Posts
To the OP under the driver seat. To the rest of you who won't carry one in your truck because you'd "rather have it totaled" to many what ifs to count. Just don't use it and let the truck burn. Personally I carry one more for other people than myself, but also especially because I have a baby in the car they take a little to get out, having one just might save her life. Also think about witnessing a car fire with kids trapped or someone goes into cardiac arrest or diabetic shock. If you can live with yourself watching someone die, go for it. Personally I'd rather try and help. To those who laugh at a "little extinguisher" I'm a voly ff and one of the jobs on the fire-ground is a can man. He has 2 gallons of water and a pike pole to go in on a search. His job is to try and contain the fire till a hose line can get in. There are stories of NYFD can men holding a fire to a room by shutting the door and using their 2 gallons wisely till help got there. If you know what you are doing those little ones and do a lot.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm a self employed electrician and some of the larger commercial job sites at there first safety meetings require one on trucks on the job sites and my commercial auto ins. also requires it so there must be some merit to having them also keep mine in my trucks side bin on my reading body truck or in the tool box in the bed of my pick up.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
goalscorer said:
To the OP under the driver seat. To the rest of you who won't carry one in your truck because you'd "rather have it totaled" to many what ifs to count. Just don't use it and let the truck burn. Personally I carry one more for other people than myself, but also especially because I have a baby in the car they take a little to get out, having one just might save her life. Also think about witnessing a car fire with kids trapped or someone goes into cardiac arrest or diabetic shock. If you can live with yourself watching someone die, go for it. Personally I'd rather try and help. To those who laugh at a "little extinguisher" I'm a voly ff and one of the jobs on the fire-ground is a can man. He has 2 gallons of water and a pike pole to go in on a search. His job is to try and contain the fire till a hose line can get in. There are stories of NYFD can men holding a fire to a room by shutting the door and using their 2 gallons wisely till help got there. If you know what you are doing those little ones and do a lot.
Once again though, an extinguisher is not going to stop a working car fire 9/10 times. And your time could be much better spent getting those trapped inside out. I'm sure you know this, but it's no the fire that kills...the smoke will do it 10x faster.

FWIW, using a can on a structure fire is nothing like using a fire extinguisher on a car. Much different materials and elements.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts