The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's weird that my season is over already. How can it seem so long and so short at the same time? I hunted pretty hard through archery season, passing up two small doe the first Tuesday, and then never really getting another one close the rest of the season. I was lucky enough to seal the deal on a nice eight point early the first day:

buck (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

buck 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I missed a BIG doe the first Saturday, which had pretty bummed the rest of the day. But I was able to redeem myself the first Monday with a medium sized doe:

doe 3 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

And today, after seeing lots of deer, but not getting any ethical shots at any...I finally had a big mature doe find her way almost under my stand:

doe 2 (1 of 1) by Jason Weller, on Flickr

That's my pap's drag rope, always brings me luck! Most importantly, got to spend lots of time with my family and hunting with dad! Memories not soon forgotten!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Good like a good season!! Congrats!!!

What's the rifle? A CZ? I've always had a soft spot for those little mannlichers...they just have a look...sooner or later one will follow me home and jump in my safe..

·
Super Moderator
24,058 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I love your pictures, congrats to you!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mauser06 said:
Good like a good season!! Congrats!!!

What's the rifle? A CZ? I've always had a soft spot for those little mannlichers...they just have a look...sooner or later one will follow me home and jump in my safe..
It's a Ruger Model 77, .308. My dad got it for me in 1991 at a gun sale at a local fire company for $350. I've killed a lot of deer with it, I love carrying it, compact and lightweight.

My great uncle was down Saturday and Monday to hunt and mentioned a few times I needed a different gun to hunt with so I could keep that one locked up, but to me, the value of a gun is in the food it provides for the table and the experiences it's a part of.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Thanx for the reply! I'm not a Ruger guy (not for any reason..). So I didn't realize they make(made) a m77 mannlicher..

I know CZ does and I can't see the details of yours to tell if it is/isn't..I just know it is a good lookin little rifle!

I agree with you...I don't have a gun and never will have one that is too good to go huntin...

Bigger marks that stand out and last typically tell part of a story...

Congrats again!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Great pictures and Congrats.

mauser06 said:
I agree with you...I don't have a gun and never will have one that is too good to go huntin...

Bigger marks that stand out and last typically tell part of a story...
Amen to that mauser06! We always said after a new purchase: Rough it up and get the worrying out of the way. It's made for hunting not for show.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts