The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to take the boat up to Seneca lake for browns and rainbows. Was wondering if anyone here goes up there fishing or if you have any pointers on lures or tactics for fishing up there. I've never done any trolling for browns or rainbows so I'm not exactly sure what the usual setups used are. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If it was me I would fish next door at Cayuga lake. From what I can gather Cayuga is fishing better than Seneca for the last few years. Typical trolling is with down riggers and spoons since those lakes are very deep. Last September I was up there and did very well with a charter doing vertical jigging for lake trout. It was an absolute blast. The vertical jigging setup is a 1oz jig with a paddletail/swiwbait. White color combos and chartreuse worked well. To do the jigging, all you do is let the bait hit the bottom and crank it back up. The fish will hit it on the way back up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Used to go to Owasco lake a lot. Killed them trolling a local lure called "Teaspoons" small thin spoons that trolled very well. White and white pink worked well. Thise lakes are deep and most of our action was in the 35-40 foot depth. You call also troll a black/silver smith wick hard bait 10-15' off the bottom and get lakers..some big in the 7-10lb range. Have not been up in 5 years and Owasco is know more of a walley lake now. Good luck very nice fish in those lakes!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've considered fishing Cayuga lake as well. Maybe a trip to both once a year or something. I'd really like to catch browns. It's neat that the rainbows are a naturally reproducing fish in those lakes too. If my boat was bigger I'd fish the great lakes for trout and salmon but I think I'd have to be careful on them as I have a 16'6" fish n ski

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The rainbows are reproducing in the streams that feed the lake? That's surprising.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You can fish the salmon/steelhead runs in the lake O tribs. I went to college in rochester, ny and spent all my free time in the fall/spring fishing the runs. I caught some awesome fish. More browns, rainbows, and steelhead than salmon.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
480handcannon said:
I go to the lake O tribs every october. Its a blast. Love the country up there too.
Me too. The 5 year plan is to get a place up in the finger lakes region. The region is sportsman and family friendly. Just so many things to do. I dont know how the hunting is but the fishing is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I grew up at the south end of seneca. It is a sportmans dream area. So many natural lakes to pick from. Most lakes have good trib runs of landlocks browns and rainbows. I had several days catching all 3. As far as hunting....it rivals pa for deer n turkey and smallgame is god to. Seasons are longer and u can hunt sundays.

So many people think ny is nyc....FAR FROM IT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts