The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again,

If any of you remember, I had posted on here about the Finger Lakes Salmon/Trout runs. Well we went on a 3 day trip last week, so I figured I would share with you the results.

Day one: We started off fishing a gorgeous creek, with some amazing waterfalls. I won't name where I was as I know the locals like to keep things a secret up there, but if you have been to spots I was at, you will definitely recognize it. The fish are not able to make it far up this first stream due to a waterfall about a quarter mile up from the mouth. There were a few guys fishing the main pools when we got there, so we headed up stream of the waterfall in search of some trout. Unfortunately, it was a very shallow fast stream with no real pools. We only found one fishable pool, and I missed a good rainbow. We walked the whole way up to a giant waterfall, which had a big deep pool. I managed a nice brown on a spoon, but that was it. We then headed back down to the mouth, and found that just about everyone had left. So, we hit the main pool which was full of Atlantic Salmon. They were super finicky though, but I did manage to land one and hook into two others on a trout magnet.

After fishing the pool for an hour or so, we decided to head to lunch, and a different lake. The tributary on this lake was much smaller, and I don't believe any fish had made it in yet. I ended up with just one small rainbow, which I assume was the offspring of a steelhead. My buddy landed 3 more in addition.

Day two: Mother nature had other plans for us on Day two. It rained all night, which blew out every stream. It dropped 40 degrees, and we had 45 mph gusts of wind. We tried to fish the main lake near mouths of creeks, but it was just two tough.

Day three: Most of the larger streams that we wanted to fish were still too high and muddy fish effectively. Rather than spend our last day trying those, we decided to hit a few much smaller streams that had already come down a bit. These streams are still the spawning grounds for steelhead, brown trout, and salmon. I think we were still a bit too far upstream even with all of the rain the day before. It was still a nice stream to fish, and I managed a little brown along with some small rainbows/steelhead. I missed a very big brown in one of the pools, probably closer to 20 inches. My buddy Travis ended up killing it on a spinner at the last waterfall, pulling in a few 12-17 inch browns.

While it was a little disappointing that we didn't get to hit the salmon and big browns as much as we wanted, it was still a gorgeous area. I will most definitely be back.

For those interested, I did make a couple of videos as always. See below.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks for posting the videos and congrats on your first Atlantic Salmon.

TT

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Was my only salmon on the East Coast. I caught a couple Kokanee in Montana but that's it. I will definitely have to go get my revenge some day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts