·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Wow. Not so sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PFBC is out of their mind if they think it is practical and safe to remove hooks while a feisty smallmouth remains in the water.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I posted in the universal forum about our ordeal. The officers are on a power trip and out to cite anything they possible can.

They really are doing a great deal to make such a positive image for themselves and to promote the fishing opportunities. (Sarcastic of course)

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
I liked this part:

But he did acknowledge that the agency does initiate investigations by monitoring photographs. Other times, people alert the agency to suspicious fish photos.

Social media has caught more than one rat.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Could be more to it, but if a simple case of a photo before release, I wonder if the rattlesnake hunters are getting equal treatment by the fish commission? Not all the snakes they photo are legal males.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
"A LNP check of the Fish and Boat Commission’s website shows that any smallmouth bass caught in the Susquehanna from Sunbury to the Holtwood Dam from May 1 through June 12 “must be immediately released unharmed without being removed from the water.”"

Therein lies the problem. Apparently the fish was caught in that location, during that period of time, and held up via the old lip n grip for a photo. So technically he broke the law.

Petty citation? Probably, but I suppose the reg is in place for a reason.

As far as rattlesnakes are concerned, they don't have to be a certain size to be handled, or photographed. They have to be a certain size to be harvested.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The last part of the article is puzzling.
I don't understand how the FBC can differentiate between an angler removing the bass from the water to photograph and anglers measuring for a tournament. Both would potentially have the same effect on the fish.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pappybear said:
I don't understand how the FBC can differentiate between an angler removing the bass from the water to photograph and anglers measuring for a tournament. Both would potentially have the same effect on the fish.
It's poorly written but what it means to say is that there are zero tournaments permitted during the closed spawn season. The only tournaments allowed are during the time frame you are allowed to target bass and remove them from the water. This time coincides with the regular catch and keep bass season in the rest of the state.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Curly Maple said:
Could be more to it, but if a simple case of a photo before release, I wonder if the rattlesnake hunters are getting equal treatment by the fish commission? Not all the snakes they photo are legal males.
Difference is you are legal to pick it up, measure and count. The regulation is cut and dry on this one. He should have waited until the 13th to post the picture. That simple, really.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
misfire1 said:
I liked this part:

But he did acknowledge that the agency does initiate investigations by monitoring photographs. Other times, people alert the agency to suspicious fish photos.

Social media has caught more than one rat.
Look at me! Look at me! society. You want to attain your 15 min of fame with social media you need to understand not everyone is going to like it.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
Curly Maple said:
Difference is you are legal to pick it up, measure and count. The regulation is cut and dry on this one. He should have waited until the 13th to post the picture. That simple, really.
As I said...could be more to it and there was.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Self-incriminating evidence, plain and simple. We all have to be careful with our cameras, and we have to be aware that everybody else has a camera, as well. It's not the same world most of us grew up in...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Blood Trail 13 said:
pappybear said:
It's poorly written but what it means to say is that there are zero tournaments permitted during the closed spawn season. The only tournaments allowed are during the time frame you are allowed to target bass and remove them from the water. This time coincides with the regular catch and keep bass season in the rest of the state.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
atr said:
I think the fine should be for having the facebook account
Yes I agree! Isn't Facebook a great way to cause yourself trouble?

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
Could someone tell me how to remove a hook or better yet a mouthful of hooks from a fish without removing the fish from the water.

It is not safe for the fish or the fisherman. That law should be changed to allow a practical and safe release.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
See what happens when PA reduces the price of a fishing license by $1.....They take to the internet to find another avenue to fine fishermen. Sad........VERY VERY sad.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Dogface said:
Could someone tell me how to remove a hook or better yet a mouthful of hooks from a fish without removing the fish from the water.

It is not safe for the fish or the fisherman. That law should be changed to allow a practical and safe release.
Cut the line.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts