The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased it in October, 2008, finally shot it today. Purchased as a 50 cal, but shot the 30-06 barrel.

Did a visual bore sight, and had to move POI over about 8 inches to the right. After shooting, was still way left, moved another 3 inches to the right.

Groups were nice and tight, really enjoyed shooting it. Also, trigger pull was pretty light, I was impressed with it. Never owned a hammer gun, and didn't know what to expect as far as lock time, but it was awesome!

Will try to get the 50 Cal and 223 out late this week.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You will enjoy it...

It surprised me you can actually hear the hammer hit as it goes off. Especially with the inline.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theaceman said:
You will enjoy it...

It surprised me you can actually hear the hammer hit as it goes off. Especially with the inline.
I'll try to pay attention to it next time. But I have severely damaged hearing, and wear double hearing protection.

(Had I worn the double protection as a kid, I wouldn't have the severe hearing loss!!)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
you will love the 223 i have set up for hogs and i shoot it out to 750yards its great and the 50cal is allso great i shoot it out to 300yards and love it to

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The 223 is a nice shooter... I just finished topping off the reloads for ground hog hunting tonight.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, really looking forward to shooting the .223. I really bougth that as a plinking gun, to practice a lot of standing, off hand shooting.

Was a little concerned about how much I has to move the left-right adjustment on the scope. It's a Leupold VX-II which was fine on other gun, so I think it must be the mount or rings were a little off. I have never been impressed with the way the base mounts on a PH barrel (Over hang in the front.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I won a camo t/c pro hunter muzzleloader since I have purchased a 270 and a 25-06. These barrells shoot just as good as any gun on the market. Thinking about getting the 30 t/c barrell not sure with only 2 rounds to chose from and hornady makes both. I maybe the 308 would be a better choice since the 30 t/c barely out performs it. Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Ohio
How about the .338 Federal(I just ordered an Encore barrel in .338 Federal March 1st from T/C's custom shop). The .338 Federal is a .308 necked up to .33 caliber. Federal offers 5-6 factory loads. I am setting mine up for PA Bears but will use it for deer also. It is supposed to be nonmagnum recoil also.
Just food for thought
Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fired a few rounds through the 50 cal barrel today. Was using three pellets of 777 (150 grains) and the 240 xtp sabot bullets. Got it shooting nicely at 100 yds. Put one across the chronograph and it was at 1997 fps.

Also have some Pyrodex pellets I want to try. nd would like to ry regular 2F black powder in it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I use 100g of 2F and 245g Shockwaves, it does the trick.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You would probably see simliar results with less recoil if you backed off to 100 gr.

Im with jon...I shoot 100 gr 777 and 240 gr shockwave

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, I'll give just 100 a try. I actually just shot 100 on the first shot, then went to 150.

Also, how much differance between Triple-7 and Pyrodex? I notice the pellets are much bigger for the same grains.

Also, what is your prefered method for cleaning a Triple-7 barrel?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Cleaning the barrel after 777...I run a dry patch thru it. Then a few patches with (whatever the TC cleaner is...old #13 or something?) and follow it with a bore butter patch and its done.

I found if you run a few patches at the range when its still fresh...its practically clean when you get it home. Super easy...

I buy the 1 pound can of 777....heckuva lot cheaper than the pellets.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Everything that I have read/shot on BP is your never going to get 150 grains to all go off in the barrel. Its not like smokeless powder where the ignition is fast and violent.

Your basically going to burn between 80-120 grains depending on the barrel length and powder type.

The easiest way to figure how much powder your guns going to burn is lay 2 white bed sheets out in front of your shooting bench and send a round down range. The loose powder that is unburnt will just 'fall' out of the barrel onto the sheets. Gather up the unburnt powder, measure, do the math and thats going to be your 'max' load.

Dont get me wrong... more powder = more flash
but its just $$ out the window.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bought a can of 777 in 2F granulation today. Went to the range with the chrony. Really hard to get good readings unless you clean on every shot.

With 100 grns, was shooting around 2070-2150.

Then fired 2 rounds with 120 grns, and it was 2122, and 2158.

Cleaned the barrel, and shot two more 120 grns, this time 2300, and 2344.

I think I will use 120 grns as my max load. Seems potent enough for me for my whitetail hunting.

These were with 240 gr. XTP saboted hollow points.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts