The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a game recipe but I finnaly tried to make a Hollandaise sauce and it came out perfect. I made eggs Benedict with real Canadian Bacon. In case anyone wants to do it this is the recipe I used.

4 egg yolks
2 sticks unsalted butter melted in a measuring cup
salt & pepper to taste
a couple dashes hot sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
4 teaspoons cold water

put a couple inches of water in a pot and bring it to a low simmer. Put a medium size glass bowl on top of the pot. Important, do not allow the water to touch the bowl. Put egg yolks in bowl along with the water lemon juice and hot sauce. Wisk together over the heat till you get a yellow collor and the sauce thickens and gets more volume. Be careful not to scramble the eggs yolks. Take the bowl off the pot and pour in the melted butter about a table spoon at a time whisking until the butter is incorporated, continue this until you have used the butter. Put the bowl over the pot from time to time to keepit warm. When the butter is all used salt and pepper to taste. The sauce will be very thick. Put the bowl with the sauce back on the pot of water and remove from heat. It will keep untill you make the poached eggs. Toast a split english muffin per person, butter both halves and put on plates. Lightly fry the canadian bacon, 2 peices per person and put it on top of muffins. Poach two eggs per person, dab dry with paper towel and put on top of the canadian bacon. Now you have everything assembled, put generous serving of the Hollandaise sauce over each egg and serve. If the canadian bacon gets cold while you are poaching the eggs, put the plate with the muffin halves and bacon in the microwave and nuke for about 25 seconds before you put the eggs on.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
John S; if you have any sauce left it goes good on a crab omlette. I usally make an extra broiled crab cake and crumble it up with a little cheese add home fries and toast.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
John with all the dishes you have posted on here it surprises me you have just made hollindaise. Excellent on steamed brocolli, fresh aspagus and other veggies. Now that you have done the hollandaise you should really try bearnaise for venison, beef, and fish. I will post the recipe.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I made it once, my friend (a cook) said it was the worst he'd ever tasted. He advised me to buy the pre-mixed stuff.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I should have tried it a long time ago but I kept hearing how hard it was to get it right. That was a load of bunk. I will wait for you recipe post.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Bearnaise excellent on any red meat.

2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 cup very finely chopped shallot
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, more if desired
1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon leaf
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon water
1/2-3/4 cup unsalted butter, very soft
salt
pepper

Combine vinegar, wine, shallots, black pepper, and 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon in a small saucepan.
Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1 tablespoon, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of water to reduced vinegar mixture.
Whisk until thick and pale, about 2 minutes.
Set pan over moderately low heat and continue to whisk at reasonable speed reaching all over bottom and insides of pan, where eggs tend to overcook.
To moderate heat, frequently move pan off burner for a few seconds, then back on.
As they cook, the eggs will become frothy and increase in volume, then thicken.
When the bottom of the pan is visible in the streaks left by the whisk and the eggs are thick and smooth, remove from heat.
By spoonfuls, add soft butter, whisking constantly to incorporate each addition.
As the emulsion forms, add butter in slightly larger amounts, always whisking until fully absorbed.
Continue incorporating butter until sauce has thickened to consistency desired.
Season with salt, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and, pepper.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I agree, Hollandaise sauce is not hard as long as you dont scramble the eggs. I enjoy the eggs bendict, though replace canadaian bacon with lump crab meat and asparagus on side.

I LOVE bernaise sauce on any meat...same deal with the double boiler and egg, dont over do it or it will crack and u will have a mess of oil and egg seperated.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice and hot sauce or Cayanne pepper in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. You do not stop whisking, ever. When the egg yolks have increased in volume and thickened you take the bowl off the pot and add a small amount of melted butter at a time whisking it in till incorporated, you continue to do that till all the butter is used. You can put the bowl back on the pot for short periods of time if it gets too cool but not for long and never stop whisking untill you are done. If the water in the pot touches the glass bowl you will probably scramble the egg yolks so it is important not to put too much water in the pot. It really is easy, if I hadn't heard all the horror stories about te sauce breaking I would have made it years ago.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
He means b careful not to COOK the eggs, as in scrambled eggs for breakfast. Too much heat, or too little whisking will do it everytime...you have to start over it is ruined.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
ok..i got ya now. i mistook what was being said.

the original post made it sound like the yolks are supposed to never break or change form. lol

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that would be a trick.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
yeah, you bet. i was saying to myself, "what does he mean this isnt hard to do?"

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
When I'm feeling ambitious, I will make Hollendaise. Love it on asparagus. Had asparagus (and fresh trout)tonight, but was in kind of a hurry so it was topped with melted butter with fresh lemon juice. Wife and I each ate a lb. of asparagus apiece.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts