The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I went to shooting heavy conicals my groups are now down to about 5" at 50 yards. My roundballs were shooting 2 foot groups. I am not exactly sure why, but that is the way it is. My 50 cal deerstalker seems to prefer those great plains 385 gr bullets with 90 gr of 3F. I never did try the powerbelts I bought, and I will probably just take them back and buy more of the conicals.

I dug one of the conicals out of the soft clay and I was pretty impressed with the mushrooming. That is a serious chunk of lead! I won't be happy until I can get a 2" group or less, but it's a good start.

My only problem is the extreme fouling, how do you guys clean between shots in cold temps? It would seem water is a bad choice (worried about freezing or moisture) After 5 shots, it gets pretty hard to load and I am sure it is affecting my grouping.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Sounds like you are shooting much better now!

I clean after every 3 on the range, at the most. Never go any more. I use Butch's Black Powder Bore shine on the range with patches down the barrel. And rubbing alcohol with q-tips on the frizzen, pan and flint. toothpick or some sort of pick to pick the touch hole.

I'd still try some Hornady PA conicals if I were you...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What's the secret to good groups @ 100 yards... 50 yards I can lob them in a 3 inch circle pretty consistant.. but man they are all over the place at 100 .. low , left, high , right... about a 1 1/2 spread...I shoot 90gr FF 375 TC Maxi... tried the light Hunter..275.. it was worse... just plain ole iron sights.. Guess I need alot more practice at 100

·
Registered
317 Posts
i only use a 60gr charge for my round balls @ 50 yard and thought i would up it to 75 gr for 100 yards cause i might need a little more speed and i was all over the place. i went back to the 60 gr. and hold with the front sight higher (not as fine a bead) and i can hit an 8" circle. maybe you can try a lighter load? i found my gun was more accurate with smaller charge. what size target are you shooting at @ 100? i find that i get better groups shooting larger targets when going out farther, i get a better sight picture. i shoot a 3" at 50 and an 8" at 100.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
dont know if anyone has tryed this but t/c makes them they are called cheap shot its a 240gr lead bullet with a plastic wad they shoot GREAT out of my daughters 50 cal lyman1and a half group at 75yard and getting better guns only a month old and she only 12

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You should easily get 1 1/2" groups with that gun and round balls at 50 yds.Make sure you are using .018-.020 patches.Lymans have deep rifling.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Yea, 410-er said it... the patch can be very well opening the groups up on you. Try the .018's if you aren't using them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
maybe someone can answer a ? i was always told [taught] that you should never shot the powerbelt out of a flinter like hawkins and traidtions because the copper jacket

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I won't put anything with plastic down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The plastic sabot was designed for the faster 1;28 twist barrels and most likely do not shoot very well out of a 1;48 twist. A few 1:48 twist barrels do shoot them adequately. My son found that a felt wad between the patched round ball and the powder worked wonders on accuracy at 50 yds. So well he won't leave home without them.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I don`t beleive the copper ever touches the rifling, just the plastic cup on the back of the powerbelt.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
that make sence on the copper part but like i said earlier the t/c cheap shot are made for the 1;48 twist my daughter shoots the lyman deer starker and they shoot beautiful at 75yards on the bench it groups one and three quartergroups

·
Registered
202 Posts
NiceRack! said:
What's the secret to good groups @ 100 yards... 50 yards I can lob them in a 3 inch circle pretty consistant.. but man they are all over the place at 100 .. low , left, high , right... about a 1 1/2 spread...I shoot 90gr FF 375 TC Maxi... tried the light Hunter..275.. it was worse... just plain ole iron sights.. Guess I need alot more practice at 100
Try more powder,I shoot 120gr 2f goex pushing 350gr t/c maxis and can hit a paper plate @ 100yds. 1 in 48 twist. 50 yds down right deadly.

·
Banned
900 Posts
None of the flinters I play with have a twist faster that 1:32. They range from Lyman (2), Cabelas (1), Traditions(4), T/C (3). Power belts are being shot from every one with great results. I even shot them from my Lyman with a 1:60 and grouped very well for at least 2 years.

It was my understanding that the bullet itself on a PB is undersized and it is the plastic cup that actually engages the rifling. At one time I became concerned about the "plastic" build up that I figured was hapenning even though I could not see it. I tried a couple acetone soaked patches and still did not any build up.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Buzzsaw said:
NiceRack! said:
Try more powder,I shoot 120gr 2f goex pushing 350gr t/c maxis and can hit a paper plate @ 100yds. 1 in 48 twist. 50 yds down right deadly.
Buzzsaw man's that a jaw breaker I bet at 120 gr..FF... I may try 100gr FF Thanks for the come back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts