The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the long wait for deer rifle and an intestinal issue for the last few days I finally got willie back out in the field. I didn't have energy yet to hit the grouse woods so I took him to a local spot that holds pheasant and liberated quail.

It was a beautiful and blustery afternoon when Willie hopped up into the truck to go "hunting". His Tri tronics around his neck accompanied his very visible nervous shakes. Willie gets so excited anytime I put on my boots he can't control his anticipation.

We hit the road for the short trip to the fields. My only concern was departing the beloved toilet that was my home for a few days. Everything went according to plan as we pulled into the parking area.

I got out of the truck and got ready. Willie waited with a shaking that says "lets go old man. What's taking so long?" After attaching the checkcord to the collar all shakes disappeared with a leap from the front seat of the truck. The hunt was on and Wille was only a couple feet from his chariot. Fortunately for me he couldn't go far at this point. Though at this point he knows where the fields are and would probably not run to the road.

So we hit the field after a brief stroll and Willie heard a firm "Heel". He stood still while the leash was removed from his collar. I armed myself with my weapon of choice for this day, my cell phone camera. With a tap on the head and a "K" command willie was off to the races.

It was a very successful day afield. Willie didn't lose much during his long break from the field and I didn't enjoy the fun any less while armed with a camera over a shotgun. And to true form; some shots were on and some were misses.

Willie had some great solid points and some chases on running birds, but I loved every minute of it. Willie found 9 hen pheasant and well over a dozen quail in the couple hours we walked the fields. The pheasant hit the breeze and were out of frame before I could capture them, but I hope you enjoy the rest of the pics. Maybe Santa will bring me a good camera for christmas.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I agree with you that it is nice to get the dog out even if it is with the camrea. Willie looks good. We are lucky to get the dogs out when we can and get into some birds.

You could always get your wife a nice camera for Christmas and use it when you take the dog out. That's what I did and it has worked out nice.

Keep up the good work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.