The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Stayed up until 3 last night but I got one side of my nymph box finished
Cant wait to hit up the little J tomorow!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks great! Do you fish the j often? Are you local to the area? Grannoms should appear within the next four days. Its up pretty high now. I'm hoping it runs off a bit. I'm headed there sunday.Gotta love catching those brownies! I've been getting some really nice bows as well. My go to fly there is green caddis. When end of april early may comes I tie a sulfur wet the I do really well on both as a dropper and swinging it.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sax, I live about 40 mins away. This will be my first time fly fishing this stream so I am pretty excited. I checked the charts and she looks to be roaring. I hope it calms down by tomorow. Ill be checking the usgs site like a hawk

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. Wishful thinking at best. How is yellow creek. I heard it was decent as it is. I doubt Ill find anything anywhere that is not blown out.

It said the little J is about 100 cfs more than average.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
the j is tuff to wade in its normal when its up its really bad...i have no clue how yellow is, it looked good on tuesday evening

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We may have to go to yellow. i figure since its limestone even if it is high it shouldn't be chocolate milk. Either way ill be going out. Good point about the wadability of the J. From my research it seems anything over 750 cfs is a no go. Right now it is below 700 so that is good news. I am anticipating it will go up tonight and during the day tomorow. Might just have to go and check it out then go to yellow. If it is anything over the 750 cfs Ill just go to yellow.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
if we get the rain we are suppose to yellow will be up and muddy tomorrow and if u dont know the creek it will be really tuff to wade

·
Registered
24 Posts
To tell ya the truth its tough to fish anything over 500! 350 range is perfect in my opinion. I live right around yellow creek park. Takes me just shy of an hour to be in the town of spruce creek. Do yourself a favor and make sure you get there for that grannom action. Its a fun one! Typically only lasts about 7 days. Where do you plan on fishing when you go to the j?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Google the "little juniata river index page" it is also a forum kinda like HPA. Those guys are good! They will let you know whats going on (bug activity) as well as conditions.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
sax12 said:
To tell ya the truth its tough to fish anything over 500! 350 range is perfect in my opinion. I live right around yellow creek park. Takes me just shy of an hour to be in the town of spruce creek. Do yourself a favor and make sure you get there for that grannom action. Its a fun one! Typically only lasts about 7 days. Where do you plan on fishing when you go to the j?
I agree. 300-350 is my preferred range. Tough fishing conditions aside, wading becomes dangerous and you can pretty forget about crossing at flows over 500 especially if you are not familiar with the river.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah I fish the j a lot and everything that people are saying about wading is true it is tough at normal levels

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep I will be going to yellow creek tomorow, and hope it is not a terrible. Bums me out I really wanted to fish the J

·
Registered
769 Posts
random, but do you feel the vinyl ribbed HE you tie outfish the normal gold ribbed ones? thinking about tying some up

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pheasant tails don't work, I'll PM you my address, send em to me and I'll properly dispose of them for you!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont think they outfish the original ones but they work for me
j

ust gives them something different to look at than the standard stuff traditional patterns. Maybe not that big of deal on all tackle water but I think changing up traditional patterns on fly fishing only projects can increase strikes. BUt again that is my own belief.

Let me know how they work for you. I believe that using a smaller diameter could give them a more natural look. These were done with the NYM size. I think Small may look a little better, but we can let the fish decide that one

Another member on here ordered a mixed kit of flies and slammed them on the green versions. He ordered a bunch more. I persoally do best on gold bead brown rib the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts