The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I up-sized to a 16' Grumman last year with a 50 hp Evinrude on a Cox drive-on trailer and it is too long to fit in my 1950s tiny garage! Even with a tongue jack it is a beast to move around.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I up-sized to a 16' Grumman last year with a 50 hp Evinrude on a Cox drive-on trailer and it is too long to fit in my 1950s tiny garage!
There is a kit you can buy that lets you cut and convert the tongue so you can fold it back. I have one and it saves about 18 inches.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The motor was the only drawback. It's a 9.9, but since I aint water skiing I decided I could live with for awhile. I'll probably be lucky to hit 5 MPH with 2-3 people onboard, but since I primarily want to fish Lake Pymatuning and drift fish, I can tolerate the slow ride out. Eventually I would like to upgrade to either a 20 HP or maybe higher if I want to hop over to Lake Erie for some close shore fishing. For now though I decided the small motor will do.
That boat can get you out to fish for deep water walleye, lake trout, and perch on Erie. Just need to pick days and watch forecast. If fishing Erie I’d want a 50-70hp on there. It’s nice to be able to get up and move if a pop up storm materializes.

Congrats! Looks real clean.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Slay, I may be stating the obvious, but keep in mind the 20 HP restriction on state lakes. I’ve got a 20 and a 60 on my boat, because I spend a lot of time on Pymy.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was thinking I could add a 60 to 90 for Erie. The current motor has it's own small gas tank. The 33 gallon tank is empty. I could then use the 9.9 as a kicker motor and on any lakes with a HP restriction. And hey, it's good to know that if one motor or fuel line has an issue, I would have a backup besides that paddle that came with it. lol

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been a good week. The Walleye Snot I ordered just came in the mail.
Have no idea if this gimmick does anything. It sure does smell like a bad case of swamp arse though. LOL

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Nice! You will appreciate the windshield especially on cold mornings. Keeping the wind off you and your passenger is nice. The bimimi tops are great as well. Makes fishing a little more difficult, but nice if the sun is beating down or for rain.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I love my Crestliner Raptor 1850. I have a 115hp with a 9.9 kicker. I can fish any lake and by the end of july will have fished every great lake and most NWPA lakes.

This is the second Crestliner I've owned and am considering buying another when I upgrade.

Reactions: Slay

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks everyone. From what I hear Crestliners are pretty much top shelf in the boating industry. My older brother has a 16' Fishhawk as well and he loves his.
I wish I could have gotten it 20 years earlier, but better late then never.

Any tips on how to learn to back this boat and trailer up easier? In all honesty, without a lot of practice, I am gonna make folks angry at the launch waiting on me. LOL
It took me 20 minutes just to park it in my driveway....sheeeesh.

It's like watching a monkey having sex with a football.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Empty parking lots are great places. Stay within the lines or grab some 5 gal buckets(or traffic cones) and make different "ramp" set ups. Locally I have ramps that range from I can back straight down to darn near needing to jackknife the rig to launch.

Seeing what the trailer is doing when the boat is off can be an issue. One trailer I had. had 3' tall PVC "guides" bolted on the trailer, another had side bunks similar to yours. My last boat also had side bunks but by that point I had a 4WD pick-up that I can't see anything behind... I had to drop my tailgate on that one.

Lastly make sure you winch/trailer jack handle is pointing down, up or back.... anyway except at your tailgate otherwise you might get a new "ding" or worse.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I wish I could help you with the "backing up" thing. I've been doing it for a long time but have no idea how to explain it to someone.

There are videos on YouTube but nothing helps like experience. After you watch the videos then head to the empty parking lot. They are a good place to practice.

Two things I would recommend. I use my mirrors (in addition to turning around) when backing into small ramps and my garage. The mirrors let me see both sides of the trailer and the fenders. As you backing you will see the trailer move. If it is not moving in the correct direction stop and make corrections immediately. With a trailer small moves with the steering wheel can mean big moves at the back end of the boat. Keep on top on the trailer's movement at all times.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
One other thing that I do. My garage is small. I get the trailer tires just into the garage and then lower the jack, disconnect the trailer and push it the rest of the way by hand.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I wish I lived closer to Pymie, but I am halfway between Lake Erie and there, so I guess it's the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't have a cement floor in my garage, it's pretty rough old concrete that the prior owner just dumped and smeared a thin layer when he laid it down. It's all chunky and broken up. Pushing is not very ideal for 1 person, maybe even two. The worst is the driveway where it meets the garage. When the trailer is on flat ground at the front of the garage the front of the truck is on a slight downhill slope. The angle wont allow me to come off the dang ball so I had to use a flat stretch in the yard to park . Gonna have to mull over what to do about that.

Schools out, so I guess maybe I will practice trailering there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I keep my duck boat in my garage. I have no more the than an inch of clearance on each tire. I can back it in with the truck, but it is so tight I have to get out several times to verify all is clear. This past fall I bought a ball mount for my lawn tractor. It is much easier to wiggle it in with the tractor.

Also the comment about the PVC posts is a good one. They make backing a trailer without the boat much easier. Trailers are nearly invisible when the boat is off.

I wouldn’t advice dropping a tailgate - too easy to put a big dent in it if your turn too sharp IMO.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts