The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 16 foot deep V 2001 Crestliner Superhawk. The boat was super clean and garage kept and it shows. It's really wide and deep, perfect to keep my twin 5 year old grandsons safe on the water and teach them proper fishing skill sets. I need a lot of practice trailering this boat. It has an 84" beam so backing up into my rickety garage is really gonna be an ordeal. LOL
I'm a happy man today!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motor was the only drawback. It's a 9.9, but since I aint water skiing I decided I could live with for awhile. I'll probably be lucky to hit 5 MPH with 2-3 people onboard, but since I primarily want to fish Lake Pymatuning and drift fish, I can tolerate the slow ride out. Eventually I would like to upgrade to either a 20 HP or maybe higher if I want to hop over to Lake Erie for some close shore fishing. For now though I decided the small motor will do.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good deal, congrats on the new toy. I know your pain with the garage, I have a Lowe Roughneck 1860 with and 86” beam. It’s a real SOB to get in the garage.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a bimini top and a very well made travel cover. The trailer is in excellent condition and the gentleman put 2 brand new tires on it this morning when I arrived.
My wife loves the windshield. I always look at things that get in the way of my fishing myself. Ideally I would only have 1 driver side console, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It has a bimini top and a very well made travel cover. The trailer is in excellent condition and the gentleman put 2 brand new tires on it this morning when I arrived.
My wife loves the windshield. I always look at things that get in the way of my fishing myself. Ideally I would only have 1 driver side console, but it is what it is.
View attachment 170412
Very nice. You are going to like that windshield on a cold day coming back across the waves in the wind though.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
IDK if I have ever seen the words, "I am a happy man" on this website before but it's nice to see.

From reading your posts I can tell you will enjoy it a lot!

Good on you!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
It's a beaut, Clark!

A boat that size you're not going to be that happy with even a 20hp after awhile. If it were me I'd look (and save for) for something at least 30hp and ideally 50 or better.

My dad started out kinda the same way you are. Bought his first boat, a 16' tri-hull that was severely underpowered with a 10hp. But we were happy to have a boat but within a year my dad was looking and bought a used 35hp Evinrude. Wow, big difference! We could actually get up on plane. A year or two later a gentleman in our bass club was selling his 16' Sea Nymph Fishing Machine but without the motor. My dad bought the boat and swapped our 35hp for it and put the 10hp back on the tri-hull and sold it. Priced it right to get it the heck out of the driveway for the new boat. And even the 35 was going to be temporary because my dad realized a bigger outboard would be more efficient. But when my stepsister found out she was going to be short on her needed tuition money through no fault of her own my dad quickly sold that boat so her senior year wasn't in jeopardy.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Nice Slay....I see a bunch of Wally`s being caught from that boat in the future.....

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IDK if I have ever seen the words, "I am a happy man" on this website before but it's nice to see.

From reading your posts I can tell you will enjoy it a lot!

Good on you!
Thanks. I'm generally a pretty happy man all the time.
All my life I have never been able to afford a good boat. The best I could do was a canoe and a used 1 man pontoon. They suited me well for the shoreline and creeks, but no capability to go out on a lake safely and both were certainly more of a solo expedition. Many years back I did own a very old beat up 14 foot aluminum boat. But there was zero comfort in that thin walled little boat. I really needed something for the family and realized a few years ago that I was running out the clock on life. If I didn't get the boat I wanted soon then it would be just another whimsical fantasy that would never materialize. I saved for a few years and was pleased to make it happen. I can only afford to use half a night crawler on the hooks now, but it's a sacrifice I was willing to make. LOL

No more gazing out at the other guys from the shoreline wishing I was out there.
I got options now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts