The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like it is getting harder to find time to hunt each year. I live .1 miles outside of Philadelphia so places to hunt are scarce down here. Plus have 4 kids all active in sports.

I only hunted 3 days for archery and no small game this year. I saw 2 bucks in those 3 days and a handful of does. I had my mind made up I was saving my doe tag for rifle, so I passed on some good shots at mature does with the bow.

Got up to camp on Friday before rifle and grouse hunted 2 days without a flush. I really was feeling out of touch with the woods, and since I wasn't outside much in the cold up to that point I was worried if I could sit in a stand all day.

Monday morning comes and it is perfect weather - temps in the 20's with a coating of snow on the gorund. We leave the truck at 5:00 am and split up as we head down the loggin trail. I am always the farthest for some reason? By 6:00 I've change my clthes and I'm 20 feet up in my stand - the false sunrise is on the horizon. This is the first time I'm in this tree, but I'm always within a couple hundred yards of this spot. I didn't see any flashlights at all - which is unusual.

Sun comes up and I notice that my visibility was much less than I expected. Most directions I'm limited to 40 yards visibility. It is thick - and I decide this is in my favor. After seeing bits and pieces of deer all morning at 10:00 am a small doe comes in and right under my stand. She definitly knew I was around and the shootin in the state forest had pretty much stopped so I made my mind up the first mature doe comes in gets it. At 11:00 I hear them coming. I get the gun up in the direction they are coming. Fourth one was a wide six. I immediately put the cross hairs on him - safety off - bam. He drops in his tracks.

After tagging him a doe comes in from the same spot and I drop her too. Half mile back in I have 2 deer a gun a pack and a stand to get out. It's only noon so I decide not to ask for help from my buddies. I drag the buck gun and pack out in one trip - take it back to camp get changed and come back to get the doe and the stand. She was much easier to drag - weighed in at 84 pounds he was 124.

I spend the next 2 days cooking and keeping camp in order. First time I had a chance to sleep in on second day. I am always so jealous of the lucky hunters when that alarm goes off on second morning. Fianlly had my chance, but I woke up at same time as usual and cooked breakfast for everyone got dressed and sat in an empty ladder stand behind camp. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Anyway just wanted to share this. I put much less time and effort into it this year. But I enjoyed it much more than ever. Next year my boy will be with me for the first time, so it will be new opportnity for next year.

·
6,466 Posts
great story and good job my season was just the opposite i put more time and effort than i ever had and got my buck on the flintlock opener and just like you i enjoyed it more than any othe season once again good job and way to go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts